Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear Brake Conversion

Should I do a rear brake conversion?

• Total voters

X-roller

Reaction score
Does it really help?.....Who has done it?....Can I see a set up?....and what calipers did you use?.....I have a lot of questions for those who have....

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Xample has the original SOS rear kit, maybe he will chime in

If I ever got them, it would be more for looks than function.

Justin

X-roller

Reaction score
hmmmm......I'll keep a close eye on this one.....I really wanna know about this conversion....

Venomous_X

Reaction score
dallas also has a custom setup as well.....rear conversion to me is fully for aesthetics, over function as earlier said :top: Do it if you got the cash. Drums FTL :thumpdown:

X-roller

Reaction score
dallas also has a custom setup as well.....rear conversion to me is fully for aesthetics, over function as earlier said :top: Do it if you got the cash. Drums FTL :thumpdown:

Yeah I'm not a fan of drums especially for the type of runs I do.....I use this truck to race to the top of a mountain with some buddies of mine....I am gonna post a video up soon of me racing to the top....it's pretty sweet...wish we could have a meet here....I know exactly where we would go....:)....to the top of this mountain...I'm sure everyone would love it...:rock: but I don't wanna do the conversion if it makes things worse.....:thumpdown:

XDsm

Reaction score
On our trucks the rear drums are actually pretty adequate. They just don't look purdy. I would focus on the front brakes, that where the majority of your braking comes from. With our light rears drum brakes are sufficient but the 10" single piston front brakes are not:thumpdown: Changing the rear for discs would mostly be appearance.

X-roller

Reaction score
On our trucks the rear drums are actually pretty adequate. They just don't look purdy. I would focus on the front brakes, that where the majority of your braking comes from. With our light rears drum brakes are sufficient but the 10" single piston front brakes are not:thumpdown: Changing the rear for discs would mostly be appearance.

Hmm....Guess I should focus on the fronts first.....Would I need a bigger master cylinder if I went with a bigger caliper?....Lets say the TRD one?....I wish....but just as an example..

Vashx51

Reaction score
Well I don't know anything really about this. I know the BJ lives like 40 min from me and I've met him before at a party. Showed me some nice pics of the ride that got me goin. Anyway I would think that changing to disc in the back would improve the brake force and let you stop faster and more controlled. The only thing is the balance since a truck is light in the back and the drum doesn't lock up as easily. So if the balance is off or maybe even an empty tank the back might just lock up, and throw you out on a turn. Just my thoughts correct me if I'm wrong.

XDsm

Reaction score
Hmm....Guess I should focus on the fronts first.....Would I need a bigger master cylinder if I went with a bigger caliper?....Lets say the TRD one?....I wish....but just as an example..

No, the TRDs are designed to be balanced and use the factory master cylinder and proportioning valve. So no worrying about overpowering front braking bias or needing to upgrade your brake system to handle the BBK:top:

X-roller

Reaction score
Well I don't know anything really about this. I know the BJ lives like 40 min from me and I've met him before at a party. Showed me some nice pics of the ride that got me goin. Anyway I would think that changing to disc in the back would improve the brake force and let you stop faster and more controlled. The only thing is the balance since a truck is light in the back and the drum doesn't lock up as easily. So if the balance is off or maybe even an empty tank the back might just lock up, and throw you out on a turn. Just my thoughts correct me if I'm wrong.

True....that is what I am worried about....I don't want that...especially with these hard turns....Wouldn't just be bad....but a bad drop down a mountain...:ahhhhh:

No, the TRDs are designed to be balanced and use the factory master cylinder and proportioning valve. So no worrying about overpowering front braking bias or needing to upgrade your brake system to handle the BBK:top:

Sweet...I guess I can focus on the fronts...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feels you on mountain passes man, downhills cook the brakes for sure!!!

Freakin worthless not even halfway down! I suggest Pads, Lines, good fluid,and rotors, for a cheep improvement...

I have all that waiting cuz I'm cheep, lazy, and wanna use my stock pads for what they're worth and want to put everything together at one time...

Also I see some of the same people and want to catch em off guard all of a sudden with my hotter entry speeds :D

Xample

Reaction score
i upgraded everything on my brakes and there sick!!...i have no complaints an or downfalls. if you wanna feel stoppin power then come for a ride with me ill smack your face on my windshield then smack your head to the back of the seat :biggrin:

TXR-HI

Reaction score
no need replace master cylinder. i have the front 332x32 4 piston trd bbk and the the 345x32 2 piston stoptech. this setup are compatible with the stock master cylinder.

disciple X

Reaction score
why do you have larger rotors on the rear than you do on the front?

TXR-HI

Reaction score
because trd bbk dont have 355 anymore, only 332. so 332 was the largest i can go with at that time unless i get stoptech ones but stoptech could not sell their bbk for x-runners during that contract they had with trd.

06whitetrd

Reaction score
I would say just do the conversion. and put the better rotors and calipers.. I almost got killed with my civic not braking with only the front rotors n drums in the back.... I have the TRD front on my truck but im thiknin gettting the rear conversion. Im saving up..

SX TOY

Reaction score
I had a gta trans am that I completely upgaded the brakes on for autocrossing and the main benefits of having rear disc is to reduce brake fade due to heat buildup. if you are racing down a mountain I would suggest st steel brake lines (increases pedal feel and response) a larger front rotor and caliper (trd bbk) and a rear rotor kit. I used to run a carbon mettallic brake pad it threw more dust but when you stomped the brake your stomach felt like a big drop on a rollercoaster.
speed is great until you cant stop and your whole truck is trashed.:driver:

Top Bottom