Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear Brake Conversion

Should I do a rear brake conversion?

• Total voters

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I say do it if you have the cash. think it would look good. I don't know if it would actually help with stopping power though. The only way I know to do that is to do the BBK which I want to do some day. I will say, the wifey's Tundra has all disc brake and that thing will stop on a dime. I know that is mainly due to the huge brake set up that the Tundra comes with. It is a big arss truck though.

i upgraded everything on my brakes and there sick!!...i have no complaints an or downfalls. if you wanna feel stoppin power then come for a ride with me ill smack your face on my windshield then smack your head to the back of the seat :biggrin:

what set up do you have brotha?

Last edited:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
anybody else notice the price on those longtubes for the 1gr? :rockon:

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
True....that is what I am worried about....I don't want that...especially with these hard turns....Wouldn't just be bad....but a bad drop down a mountain...:ahhhhh:

Sweet...I guess I can focus on the fronts...
Just get the BBK for the front. World of differance and worth every penny. I did a 20 minute session on the road course Vegas Motor speedway classic course. It'll do just fine.

X-roller

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I'm gonna do......I've been focusing on getting it a bit faster for right now though. I'll end up getting the BBK here pretty soon though to slow this beast down.

TRD-X

Reaction score
:top: O.K. guys more power&big wheels, big brakes are a good thing. you don't see drum brakes on a race car (tundraracing.com) has kits or will make one for you.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a Ferrari with drums the other day. Then there was a ZO6. Same thing. Weird. Who thought sports cars had drums???
They don't, and you all have sporys trucks with underpowered brakes. Hmmm. Think about it. Besides, our trucks have anti-locking brakes. As far as I know, doing a rear conversion doesn't get rid of that. Either way, it is a smart choice.

X-roller

Reaction score
I saw a Ferrari with drums the other day. Then there was a ZO6. Same thing. Weird. Who thought sports cars had drums???
They don't, and you all have sporys trucks with underpowered brakes. Hmmm. Think about it. Besides, our trucks have anti-locking brakes. As far as I know, doing a rear conversion doesn't get rid of that. Either way, it is a smart choice.

Hmmm......Never thought of that...and actually the rear brake conversion is cheaper.....

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Hmmm......Never thought of that...and actually the rear brake conversion is cheaper.....
Its a front heavy truck. You will get more benifit from the BBK then the rear disc conversion. The weight transfers the front when braking about 70% or so.

muzzyfsu

Reaction score
I don't think anyone discussed this or not, but I think something else to consider is wheel/tire combo. I purchased my X with the BBK and before I got my rims, the X stopped really well w/ little fade under moderate driving (~4-6 heavy braking from 60-80 mph). After I upgraded my wheels/tires, they show much more fade. I think the drums are adequate enough for the stock rims if you upgrade to BBK up front. But if you go bigger w/ wheels/tires (I went w/ 20s and 28.2 overall diameter, 1'' greater than stock), the drums in the rear most def can't handle it. Also, I you go staggered like I did, I believe that more braking power can now be applied to the rear (bigger footprint) and not to mention more rotational force, creating more heat, thus needing more surface area (ie bigger brakes) to stop and to prevent fade. When I have more $$$ after my suspension upgrades, I will upgrade the rears as well. Hope this helps.

NOTE - I didn't know they had an option for 6 piston brakes, if I would have known, I would have gotten those, then maybe I wouldn't need to upgrade the rear. Just something else to consider.

Reaction score
I think someone made a comment that the TRD BBK uses the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve. Is the kit a simple bolt on a well versed home mechanic can do? Or does it require adjusting the proportioning valve, tweaking the ABS, or having a special scan tool to work the ABS valve to bleed the brakes?

TRD-X

Reaction score
I think someone made a comment that the TRD BBK uses the stock master cylinder and proportioning valve. Is the kit a simple bolt on a well versed home mechanic can do? Or does it require adjusting the proportioning valve, tweaking the ABS, or having a special scan tool to work the ABS valve to bleed the brakes?

Bolt on Cuz! And this is for everyone I have the TRD/ PDF downloads for the BBK, CAI. and Quickshifter install. If you want them send me a pm with a email address or email me at supratwins@yahoo.com :top:

shaX 07

Reaction score
I dunno I think a front BBK would be sufficient as far as braking performance... Money spent on a rear conversion would be better spent elsewhere..

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sports vehicles with lots of power and insufficient braking makes perfect sense.
It all starts from the factory. This wouldn't even be a wasted debate had the trucks come with these,like they should have, from the factory.
The only debate would be what size rotors to get.

2wheelz

Reaction score
I did both, the BBK on the front was a great upgrade and VERY easy to put on (less than an hour). I however had problems with the rear calipers (sos kit) they leaked and I had a nightmare of a time with the guys at stainless steel brakes . All the stuff Tom at Tundar racing makes was perfect I do not know if he has change suppliers or not but the calipers suck. I think you could use F150 calipers and make a bracket. I mostly did this for looks because the drums actually have more swept braking area than the rear discs. Just something to think about. Do the fronts though they are worh every penny !

Top Bottom