Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Review: BrakePerformance.com + TRD Pads

Slay0r

Reaction score
Either way u go, be sure to pick up some anti-squeal grease (i got mine at O Riely's) and put it on all contact points so they dont squeal.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the fading. I've had mine on for 6 months now and don't notice any fade whatsoever. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling my wife (who rarely rides alone with me b/c we usually have the kid-o's) how amazing the new brakes where. I gave her a 60-0 test.

She punched me in the arm at 0. :laugh: The stopping power is pretty ridiculous. As was said, makes you wonder what BBK is like if this setup is THIS good.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the fading. I've had mine on for 6 months now and don't notice any fade whatsoever. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling my wife (who rarely rides alone with me b/c we usually have the kid-o's) how amazing the new brakes where. I gave her a 60-0 test.

She punched me in the arm at 0. :laugh: The stopping power is pretty ridiculous. As was said, makes you wonder what BBK is like if this setup is THIS good.

Do you still have the trd pads?

On a side note, thanks for the great review and creating this unreal site. :adore:

Slay0r

Reaction score
no, thats not the correct one.

the Xrunner shares the same (5lug) 10.8" rotor and single piston caliper as a base model 2wd tacoma (non prerunner)

It should be about $101.xx

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0A3289239.aspx

but look around, I believe they have them for a few bucks cheaper (and with free shipping)

Last edited:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
no, thats not the correct one.

the Xrunner shares the same (5lug) 10.8" rotor and single piston caliper as a base model 2wd tacoma (non prerunner)

It should be about $101.xx

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0A3289239.aspx

but look around, I believe they have them for a few bucks cheaper (and with free shipping)

Just ordered myself some slotted and dimpled rotors.
features-premium-dimpled-slotted-rotors-silver.gif

Thanks for all of your awesome help. Now I have to pick up some EBC yellow brake pads. Any recommendations on websites or places to buy them? Thanks again

Slay0r

Reaction score
Yeh, thepartsbin.com streetsideauto.com u can do a google shopping search and itll give u te lowest prices. Some even have free shipping.

Roland's Runner

Reaction score
Man, lots of great info... I am most likely going w/Ebc yellows and slotted and dimpled rotors.

jtnyc

Reaction score
resurrecting an old thread, but for those of you w/ the BP rotors and other pads, do you have any issues w/ squeaking and noise?

Thanks

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
resurrecting an old thread, but for those of you w/ the BP rotors and other pads, do you have any issues w/ squeaking and noise?

Yes. I'm glad that you dug up this old thread - because I do have squeaking at certain points during braking. Mostly while slowing to a stop at about 15-5 mph. I have examined the rotor and it looks like the brake pad isn't covering the entire rotor and that would be my guess for the cause of the squeaking. So I had a lip/edge starting to get formed on my rotor because the pad is "smaller" than the rotor and while the rotor wears away it creates a lip/edge on the rotor. Hope that makes sense.

The squeaking is annoying. And the brake dust from the TRD pads is annoying. But the additional braking power is excellent (compared to stock) for the price paid.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I am beginning to think the squealing issue is to do the compound of the brake pad. The stoptech/trd bbk has the same squeak, the rotora kit has the same squeak and my inlaws str8 with brembros all squeak from 15-5..... Just price you pay for performance...

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score
appy brake grease to all places of brake pad that touch the brake caliper. this helped my brakes

DO NOT PUT GREASE ON THE ROTOR

jtnyc

Reaction score
I resurrected the thread because the previous owner of my taco had replaced to BP rotors and the free pads that came with the rotors. Mine squeaks pretty bad at low speeds/light pressure. I drove it home in light rain last night and it was getting kind of annoying...

I'm wondering if upgrading the pads to BP's premium semi-metallic pads would help. According to BP, those pads supposed to be the quietest pads they sell.

Can XR

Reaction score
Great info everyone. This gives me a few ideas on what to get

4x4coots

Reaction score
I have had BP rotors and some of their pads on my current x-runner and BMW before. I also had HPS, Yellows, TRD Pads, and BP semi-metallic premium pads.

My experience was that I did not like the HPS much. They were squeaky most of the times and sucked cold, didn't like them much and dust was moderate.

Yellows were okay, but also started getting squeaky and the pedal feedback wasn't as predictable as the TRD's. I actually really liked the feedback and performance from the TRD, but they do dust a bit more. I didn't really see this as a problem as I was my truck once a week, and rinse down the wheels every few days.

The BP premium pads (not their regulars) were also good. They didn't dust as much as the TRD's but I felt the TRD's were a bit better with pedal modulation. You just felt more connected. But if you don't care, the premium BP pads come free with their dimpled and slotted rotors, so it's not a bad deal especially since they are free.

scareurpasenger

Reaction score
slotted helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the bite characteristics of the pad when is claps on the rotor. drilled rotors are about the same but are more pron to crack under extreme use.

Also to help the heat and gases that are created during braking to escape

Slots, dimples and holes all reduce performance when using higher end pads. They were added to rotors when the pads out gassed causing a gas barrier and didn't allow direct contact with the rotor. In modern applications all they do is reduce surface area, increase the chances of cracking and wear pads out faster.

Stock rotors will perform the best in this case.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
one of the reasons I went with centric premium rotors with uprated pads. (both carbotech and TRD)

Top Bottom