Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"The Heart of a Matar"

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I by no means am trying to be rude at all. So please don't mistake it for that. I have no idea how much this current motor cost, that is being rebuilt. But since it was used and had high miles already, I have a strong feeling that played a hand in it. I don't know how pampered or abused it was either, in the prior vehicle. I know this is all upon reflection now, so it really isn't worth much, but at least now this used motor will be much more like a very low mile used motor. And being built by a very experienced individual. Thus, that with a new solid, fine combed tune, and you will be in tip top shape.

Now if we could only do something about lowering the temperature in EP. ;)

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Keith?:dontknow:

when I go pick up the motor in a few weeks, I will be bringing my X1 to him. He is going to load it with a more than safe tune. Then it will be tuning over the net after that. Dan is going to work with David (APR) to get the tune down pack. I doubt I will drive all the way back to APR to get the tune right. I am sure that David and Dan will get it right. I am considering searching to see if you can run a knock light. I know our trucks have one on the motor, just don't know if a kit will actually work. It must know the knock threshold.
Gonna be running this in the intercooler and radiator (recommended by APR). Also going to be running small electric fans on the heat exchanger for the intercooler
117.png

Also going to be cutting out my flange assembly at my URD Y and my cat back. With discussion from APR, this will help battle against the restriction of the URD pipe at the flange. Thus less the chance of a knock again. Was going to do a flex joint, but I am told by the man that its not needed and will fail.

So those are the plans so far. Get the intake temps down and help the exit of the exhaust more. I am going to be running mostly water in the intercooler instead of 50/50. Just going to put a small amount.

I by no means am trying to be rude at all. So please don't mistake it for that. I have no idea how much this current motor cost, that is being rebuilt. But since it was used and had high miles already, I have a strong feeling that played a hand in it. I don't know how pampered or abused it was either, in the prior vehicle. I know this is all upon reflection now, so it really isn't worth much, but at least now this used motor will be much more like a very low mile used motor. And being built by a very experienced individual. Thus, that with a new solid, fine combed tune, and you will be in tip top shape.

Now if we could only do something about lowering the temperature in EP. ;)

no worries brotha. all good. I know what you meant and ur intent! Yea, I think that the dry heat is causing a lot of problems for us EP crew. Dan (Butters) to multiple tunes to get his truck right.

Last edited:

darthyota

Reaction score
May I also suggest a good water meth kit to help with knock

Murderface

Reaction score
He'd be better off getting a APR 7th since he has an X-1 IMO. I believe he already has a 7th for the MKI he has so not sure if the APR 7th would do anything now that I think about it. He may be better off with a Meth kit.

Hey Keith why don't u try to buy Slayor's Meth kit to help supress ur knock issues?

Slay0r

Reaction score
he passed, and it ended up selling days later

KETCHUP

Reaction score
He'd be better off getting a APR 7th since he has an X-1 IMO. I believe he already has a 7th for the MKI he has so not sure if the APR 7th would do anything now that I think about it. He may be better off with a Meth kit.

Hey Keith why don't u try to buy Slayor's Meth kit to help supress ur knock issues?

Meta kit will cool things down but at the price of robbing HP according to APR. That's why I passed. The issue mainly is getting it tuned right.

I do wonder if the APR 7th would work better though

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
Wonder how it would lose HP? Got me! But if u already have a 7th inj located in the housing of the intercooler I don't know if the APR 7th would help or if it would just make u pig rich?

Slay0r

Reaction score
yeh, i've never heard that either.

I dont see how dumping more fuel at the same octane level can be better than dumping a cooling agent that has a higher octane rating

KETCHUP

Reaction score
I am no expert fells, but I trust a man that builds motors. He explained that it is basically dumping water in the motor. It cools down the compression, but the mixture actually robs HP. If you understand how spraying a 7th injector works, it may make more sense. A 7th sprays fuel and (lack of better terms) removes the heat from the air entering the intake. He didn't say it didn't work at cooling things down making it safe. Just that is would in fact rob HP. Don't get me wrong, I am looking at anything to help make things safe. I do beleive the first two motors was issues with cut ECU wiring. We resolved that on the 3rd motor with a new wiring harness. I think/ believe this time we just got caught up with this motor leaking oil and such that we failed to re-check the tunes. Totally my fault.

He also explained to me the importance of ensuring the 7th is spraying accurate. Too much fuel being sprayed by the 7th can be a bad thing. It will actually turn the fuel in to droplets which isn't good for the motor.

Last edited:

Slay0r

Reaction score
i hear ya bud, but just so you know, you could run 100% meth, but your pump probably wouldnt like it. But they do make pumps that can pump 100% meth

And yes, injecting to much fuel through the 7th can rob hp as well. And a 3rd benefit of meth is that it cleans the blow-by out of the TB, intake manifold plenum and spacer (basically everything after its sprayed and before it goes into the combustion chamber) ....if u didnt have a catch can

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Meth is a bandaid and is no where near as reliable as a OEM fuel system, there are several things that can go wrong with meth kits and it adds more work of owning the truck into the mix.

The beauty of the 7th injector or E85 is that you have the reliability/safety of the primary fuel system and only need to put fuel in the fuel tank.

David/APR is correct, while meth/water injection does work you need to take into consideration:

1. Water is taking up space in the cylinder (space that can be used for fuel/air) costing power.
2. Methanol does not have the same energy content as gasoline.
3. Methanol is HIGHLY corrosive and very dangerous when it is on fire (when it burns it is almost invisible).
4. Adding water/meth is just another component to fail and cause an issue on his setup, it also requires him to add/mix methanol to the tank under the hood religiously (more work).

APR/David is trying to keep his setup as simple, care free, and reliable as possible at this stage of the game.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
All he needs to do is install a Mr. Fusion. Duh......solves everything. Pff. Don't know why none of you have thought of it sooner.

I have already Pioneered it. :p

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Meth is a bandaid and is no where near as reliable as a OEM fuel system, there are several things that can go wrong with meth kits and it adds more work of owning the truck into the mix.

The beauty of the 7th injector or E85 is that you have the reliability/safety of the primary fuel system and only need to put fuel in the fuel tank.

David/APR is correct, while meth/water injection does work you need to take into consideration:

1. Water is taking up space in the cylinder (space that can be used for fuel/air) costing power.
2. Methanol does not have the same energy content as gasoline.
3. Methanol is HIGHLY corrosive and very dangerous when it is on fire (when it burns it is almost invisible).
4. Adding water/meth is just another component to fail and cause an issue on his setup, it also requires him to add/mix methanol to the tank under the hood religiously (more work).

APR/David is trying to keep his setup as simple, care free, and reliable as possible at this stage of the game.

yeah, that is what he explained to me. Just needed someone to explain it to the fellas. Thanks brotha.

So I just locked in the deal for an OEM oil cooler from Earnesje (thanks bud)!!!! So ketchup will have factory cooled oil! Think this will help cool things down. Just need to find some small e-fans for my heat cond if someone knows where to find some
IMG_0247.jpg

KETCHUP

Reaction score

Don't remember. I beleive its the same style that comes with the TRD SC kit.

oh and looks like it will be around the 15th for our return visit. I think Carlos (MancheX) will be rolling with me. be a good excuse to put that "new" truck on the highway. Looking to come on the weekend, so maybe we can do a small meet at the drag and maybe dinner or something. I will look into it and we can start a thread.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
sure thing brosike, I'm trying to take my hitch off at the moment. It's a pita!:motz:! But ya I'll go chill and help ya bro.

Top Bottom