Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tranny problems? Yes or No

Transmission problems? Yes or No

• Total voters
Reaction score
I have an 2007 only 2nd gear was grinding from day one. Im now at 61,000 & the grind has gone away. I belive right around 60,000. but as many miles as I drive in a week it could have been around 58,000.

gravity

Reaction score
i have had minor problem, had A/C full blast and went to gun it from 1st to 2nd and grinded. only has happened with A/C full blast. anyone else noticed this ?

T

Tony

I've got a 2007 with 6228 / transmission broke on the 1st to 2nd gear change at redline. I put mt-90 in at 3000. Dealership has it now/ we'll see what they say. My wife laughed at me/ she thought I missed the gear. She wasn't laughing when we slowed to a stop.

LEX-RUNNER

Reaction score
I had the same problem getting it into 5th. did a ride along with a Toyata Teh.. said the sychro-gears were bad and just wanted to replace the gears. But, toyota just gave me a brand new tranny!!!!:top: I would take your X into the dealer and make sure you drive it with a tech, cause they tried tell me there was nothing wrong with it!!

So, good luck with that.

AFP520

Reaction score
I'm not sure if someone took your trucks for a nasty test drive before you purchased it, but I've had no problems with over 6K on my 07. I'll be making the switch to Amsoil in the tranny and rear after I get that new Truetrac LSD :biggrin:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I never had any problems, and just recently added MT-90. Shifts really smooth at high rpms. Definitely worth it if your into pushing the truck.

rocivm

Reaction score
yes, i have a problem for second time, but with the f... huge rock that its on the fron of the house, so, my back bumper has 2 scraches now ,terrible!!! ..:rock: with 24k no mec problems, lucky!!! cause its a great engine! its a TOYOTA MAMI!!!:biggrin:

T

Tony

Got my x back today, the clutch disk broke,they said it was from dropping the clutch, Hard accelerating maybe, but I never drop the clutch. I beat on all the vehicles I have ever owned and this is the first time I have ever had a clutch problem, especially on a brand new vehicle. I would think about putting a centerforce clutch in but then the transmission would probably brake.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
it seems to only grind when its a cold start and only when I release the clutch. Its not extremely noticeable yet, I am hoping by changing the fluid soon it will be ok. When it grinds on your guys' truck with problems, is it pretty loud?? Mine also feels weird on the highway in 5th gear, like a little rough, and I mean for as long as I drive in 5th

mine did this for the first time in 11k last nite:dontknow:

only when shifting from 2nd-3rd at WOT. when coming off the clutch going back to the gas, I get a grind.

doesnt make to much sense, but atleast Im not the only one. If It gets worse, ill take it in

Justin

Last edited:

BlackCat

Reaction score
My tranny's been generally rock solid with the exception that it occasionally grinds 2nd on downshifts. But it's interesting in that I can stick the shifter into 2nd with no problem, but as I let the clutch out, it either grinds or bumps into neutral. And it only did that occasionally, like once in ten downshifts. Never on an upshift. Kinda made me think it might be a linkage issue, not synchros. However, I recently changed the tranny fluid out to Mobil1 75/90 and it's never skipped a beat since <knock on wood>...

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
'06 XR and no tranny problems so far, Keeping my fingers cross!

KETCHUP

Reaction score
no problems as of yet....just that 5th gear grind that will be solved with my URD SS.

Alexrunner

Reaction score
took my truck to the shop today for the 5th gear grind, and they said they may have to replace the whole tranny. i dont know if thats good or bad. but i just put in that redline fluid in.

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
thats a good thing alex.tranny oil is cheap to buy. that tranny is the payday you don't want to pay!

nholmes5644

Reaction score
i have an 06 with 34000 k/m not a problem....not gonna lie, i have ground the gears, but it was my fault every time.

blastap

Reaction score
05 with 25000 no problems but im scared to go boosted because of this common problem

Top Bottom