Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

*Updated* Toyota Pedal Recall Info

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Alright guys, I just got back to work from the Toyota Recall meeting we had today in DC. I'm putting the new information in this thread for 2 reasons ---

1.) The other thread is extremely long (hard to sort through all the posts to gain info)
2.) The other thread pertained to the floor mats; where the recall now is mainly focused on the pedals and ECU.

As stated before, the Stop Sale/Freeze on the effected models was supposed to start last Friday (January 15th), this has now been changed due to the replacement parts not being ready yet. The new Official Recall date is Feb. 5, 2010.

The recall includes about 4 MILLION Toyota vehicles nationwide.

This is the order in which the models will be fixed by Toyota's guidelines/schedule:

1.) 1.4 mil Camrys (2007-2010)
2.) 320,000 Avalons (2005-2010)
3.) 685,000 Prius (2004-2009)
4.) 1.8 mil Tacoma & Tundra

Starting in February, the public will get the Official Letter from NHTSA. Camry owners will be the first to receive the letter, then other owners will follow by the list above. Toyota and NHTSA expect this to take about 5-8 months to fix all affected models.

The letter will include the 3 fixes that Toyota is doing (ECU re-flash, re-shaping or replacing the gas pedal assembly, and replacing the tibia). NHTSA has also mandated that the Toyota letter must say it's involved in a recall and have the repair details outlined for the customer.

One thing in the letter that Toyota is trying to get taken out before it's mailed out, is a sentence stating that if the customer does not like the look/feel of the pedal after it's been repaired, that the customer has the right to get a brand new pedal replaced at Toyota's expense. But from what we were told today, it doesn't look like NHTSA is going to remove it. And in order for the customer to get a new pedal, they must have had the recall repair work done first. The customer can not just say they want a new pedal.

There is also a 19 page report on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ that goes further into detail about the recall. It's actually a good read because NHTSA has found no fault of the floor mats causing accidents; which is why this is now no longer considered a floor mat issue.

Toyota Camry and Avalon will get a reflash of the ECU to add the Brake Override System (Smart Pedals), along with the re-shaping of the gas pedal (EDIT: now getting pedal assembly replaced), and replacing the tibia (foam pad located under the carpet (not floor mat)) with a thinner piece of foam, that will give the vehicle an extra 3/4" of space.

Any Camry or Avalon that has a built date of January 19, 2010 or LATER is not affected by this recall. These vehicles already have a trimmed pedal, foam, and a re-flash from the factory.

The Prius will only have the tibia and pedal re-shaping done as well.

The Tacoma will only have pedal re-shaping and a replaced tibia.

The Tundra will now have the pedal assembly replaced, along with a new tibia. We were told that the Tacoma & Tundra's ECU can not accommodate the re-flash:dontknow:. The letters for Tacoma and Tundra owners are supposed to be mailed out between late April through mid May.

Brake Override System (Smart Pedals) --

Starting IMMEDIATELY, all new Toyota's that are being built, will be built with the Smart Pedal system. ALL Toyota models by the end of 2010 will have this feature!

The Smart Pedal system will ONLY activate when the driver presses on BOTH pedals going 30mph or faster!! (So you'll still be able to keep doing burnouts or donuts:rockon:)

The Smart Pedal system doesn't require the brakes to be enforced completely; if the driver has their foot on the gas and their foot on the brake enough to make the brake lights come on, it will cut the fuel to the injectors or power supply. The main issue with this at this point, is people who drive with 2 feet.

Floormats --

***Toyota owners will have the option of replacing their old All-weather mats with the newly re-designed style; but only the front 2, not all 4. If the customer does not have the all weather mats when they bring their vehicle in for repair, they must prove somehow that they owned the mats at one time or another; whether it be from the original sticker on the vehicle, or a receipt of some sort. Carpeting and carpeted floor mats WILL NOT be replaced!!! The old all-weather mats must be returned to the dealership parts department where they will be recycled ***

Customer can also gain further information by going to www.toyota.com/floormats

Once we receive an early copy of the Official letter; which should be early next week, I'll will scan it and post it up here. And as soon as I have more information, I will also post it up.

EDIT:

Received this email from Toyota last night at 6:51pm ET. This information wasn't confirmed by Toyota or NHTSA till after the meeting we had yesterday. It looks like they are now going to be switching the pedal assembly completely on the vehicles listed below, and they have also added a few other models as well. I have edited the information above to match the latest guidelines mandated by NHTSA for the replacement of the pedal assembly for the Camry, Avalon, and Tundra.

(The Tacoma will still only be getting a pedal re-shaping, not replacement)

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

********************UPDATE**************************

Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

**“Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,” said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. *“This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.” *

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales are confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:
2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry, *
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia

* * * * No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. *The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
* * * * Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.
The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

Last edited:

808XR10

Reaction score
i questioned toyota about the floormats before i jumped inside my XR because it didnt have the all weather ones or the factory cloth ones. i was like wtf im about to buy a 2010 XR and its not going to have floor mats wtf is that!? then my sales guy told me, its because of one accident involving floormats that caused people to their death. but any how im still hoping to get mines from them. thanks for updating this bro:rockon:

Tapp

Reaction score
Great Info David!! its about time Toyota fixed this problem..:top:

TRD-X

Reaction score
So David is that's why I can't get the X till Feb?? and if that is the case how long before I will be able to buy one??

2006nightrider

Reaction score
i questioned toyota about the floormats before i jumped inside my XR because it didnt have the all weather ones or the factory cloth ones. i was like wtf im about to buy a 2010 XR and its not going to have floor mats wtf is that!? then my sales guy told me, its because of one accident involving floormats that caused people to their death. but any how im still hoping to get mines from them. thanks for updating this bro:rockon:
Make sure your truck HAD floormats from the factory. If it didn't come with them from the factory, you're SOL. They will not just give you new mats just because your truck didn't have them when you bought it. And if they do give you new ones, they will be the NEW STYLE all-weather mats...and they only replace the front 2, not all 4.

And unlike previously stated when this was first brought to the publics attention, the carpeted mats ARE NOT covered.

LUGNUT

Reaction score
I know that meeting wasn't fun David, thanks for keeping us informed brotha! :top:

08x-runner

Reaction score
So, i have a pair of the tacoma all weather floor mats and my drivers side is wearing out, I can take them to the dealer when this goes into effect and get a new set for the front?

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I know that meeting wasn't fun David, thanks for keeping us informed brotha! :top:
No prob fellas...

And yea...it was pretty damn boring.
So, i have a pair of the tacoma all weather floor mats and my drivers side is wearing out, I can take them to the dealer when this goes into effect and get a new set for the front?
Correct.

08x-runner

Reaction score
any idea what they look like? I went to toyota.com and looked under accessories but they only have carpet mats.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
any idea what they look like? I went to toyota.com and looked under accessories but they only have carpet mats.
No I don't. And you're not going to...at least not yet anyways...

We don't even have a part # for them yet, same as the new tibia...which is why the recall was postponed to Feb 5th. We should get the new part #'s next week.

08x-runner

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - i guess it doesn't really matter what it looks like since mine is wore out.

teamben158

Reaction score
Does this mean my OBX pedal won't fit anymore?

Man, tough call on what to do....

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
[/U][/B]The Smart Pedal system will ONLY activate when the driver presses on BOTH pedals going 30mph or faster!! (So you'll still be able to keep doing burnouts or donuts:rockon:)

The Smart Pedal system doesn't require the brakes to be enforced completely; if the driver has their foot on the gas and their foot on the brake enough to make the brake lights come on, it will cut the fuel to the injectors or power supply. The main issue with this at this point, is people who drive with 2 feet.

Well there goes powerbraking the autos :crinklehair:

Justin

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Does this mean my OBX pedal won't fit anymore?

Man, tough call on what to do....
We were told that "Sport Pedals" are not covered under the recall (right now anyways), only because the template that they are using to trim the plastic pedals wont work due to the fact that the sport pedals are metal. Now whether that means OBX pedals as well...I don't know:dontknow:

Well there goes powerbraking the autos :crinklehair:
Yessir...Toyota is still allowing us to burn rubber:rock: (up to 30mph of course:biggrin:)

Last edited:

teamben158

Reaction score
We were told that "Sport Pedals" are not covered under the warranty right now, only because the template that they are using to trim the plastic pedals wont work due to the fact that the sport pedals are metal. Now whether that means OBX pedals as well...I don't know:dontknow:

I think the "sport pedals" are the OBX ones, at least they are the ones sold at dealers.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I think the "sport pedals" are the OBX ones, at least they are the ones sold at dealers.
Well maybe, but Toyota also considers the Camry SE as having sport pedals because they are a different shape then the regular Camry pedals, and they are made of metal.

Are the OBX pedals metal?

teamben158

Reaction score
Well maybe, but Toyota also considers the Camry SE as having sport pedals because they are a different shape then the regular Camry pedals, and they are made of metal.

Are the OBX pedals metal?

Yes. The clutch/brake replace the existing pedal covers and the gas slips over the current pedal:

b0_1_117_1.JPG

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Yessir...Toyota is still allowing us to burn rubber:rock: (up to 30mph of course:biggrin:)
Only the end of 2010 Taco and Tundras.
We don't get the "Smart Pedals" in the recall, only the new pedal re-shaping and the replaced tibia. :top:

Odd how they can't reflash the ECU for safety, but can re-flash it for fun (TRD S/C)... :stupid:

Top Bottom