Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

*Updated* Toyota Pedal Recall Info

808XR10

Reaction score
What? I don't think you understand what I'm saying...

On the ORIGINAL sticker from when the truck was first sold as a new vehicle, it must say on there that it came with all weather mats.

Just because YOUR truck didn't come with mats, DOESN'T mean Toyota owes you them.

What's the vin# on your truck and I'll tell you if you're getting mats or not.
naw man, i just saying that while i was getting my xr i noticed that it didnt have floor mats at all. so i asked my sales guy why and he told me its because this and that happened. so i said ok i guess thats cool but, i think youre saying that there should've been floor mats with the truck. me and my other friend bought 2010 xrs and he didnt get them either. im also not saying that toyota owes me one, by the way i got my XR from SERVCO LEEWARD in O'ahu Hawaii.

mysandals

Reaction score
You state "There is also a 19 page report " I cannot locate this report: Can you help me find it, please. Thanks.

08x

Reaction score
david are u guys still selling the cars or did u have to stop selling them cuz now there also saying toyota is frozen on selling there cars to

2006nightrider

Reaction score
david are u guys still selling the cars or did u have to stop selling them cuz now there also saying toyota is frozen on selling there cars to
Email we got from Toyota 25 mins ago:

Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

**“Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,” said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. *“This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.” *

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales are confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:
2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry, *
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia

* * * * No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. *The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
* * * * Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
* * * * Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.
The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

Last edited:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas what the "reshaping" is going to entail or look like?

So from what I understand, the problem it the pedal physically getting wedged down on the floor, there are no problems with the electronics/throttle-by-wire going on right?

Thanks for keeping us informed David

Hey David see part two of this for me, I wasn't gonna mention it again, but I heard something on the news about "ECM problems"

I dont usually pay too much attention to the news because they like to exaggerate everything but...:dontknow:

Maybe they are just confused about the reprogramming

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Hey David see part two of this for me, I wasn't gonna mention it again, but I heard something on the news about "ECM problems"

I dont usually pay too much attention to the news because they like to exaggerate everything but...:dontknow:

Maybe they are just confused about the reprogramming

_Tyrone20Biggums.jpg

j/k man...Here is some more info:

(I just copied and pasted this, it doesn't look the same as the email, but you can figure it out-->)

Involved Vehicles
Please verify vehicle involvement prior to customer delivery on all potentially involved vehicles. Only vehicles manufactured in North America are involved. Vehicles manufactured in North America can be identified by the first three characters (WMI) in the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
Accelerator pedals installed on Camry vehicles manufactured in North America will need to be inspected to determine if they are CTS pedals.

Model
Model Year
WMI
Pedal type
Remarks

Avalon
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
4T1
CTS
Hold vehicles in dealership inventory

Matrix
2009, 2010
2T1

Tundra
2007, 2008
5TB
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
5TF

Sequoia
2008, 2009, 2010
5TD

Camry*
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
4T1
Inspect Pedal
Need to inspect. If equipped with CTS pedal hold vehicle in dealership inventory.
4T4**
CTS
Hold vehicles in dealership inventory

Corolla*
2009, 2010
1NX
CTS
2T1

Highlander*
5TD
CTS

RAV4*
2009, 2010
2T3
CTS

Last edited:

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
My x came w/ the OBX race pedals from the factory. It even says it on the window sticker (which i still have) will i lose the pedal when they replace it? Shouldn't it be covered under the recall?

P.S. Some new Camry's aren't built in North America? I thought they were all built here now?

Gadget

Reaction score
So, is now a good time to negotiate a good deal on a new Tundra reg short bed??

G

2006nightrider

Reaction score
How do I get new floor mats?
Read first post:top:
My x came w/ the OBX race pedals from the factory. It even says it on the window sticker (which i still have) will i lose the pedal when they replace it? Shouldn't it be covered under the recall?
I can only speculate on that subject because we haven't received any "official" word yet from Toyota about them. If we don't receive any info, it may just come down to the dealers discretion...

So, is now a good time to negotiate a good deal on a new Tundra reg short bed??

G
Funny you bring that up...I got a PERFECT Tundra for you that will be here Saturday!!! Reg cab, 4x2, Sport Edition, 5.7L, short bed. Radiant Red with black interior, also equipped with 20" wheels, back up camera, and color keyed grill and bumpers:top:

We've never had one before, this will be our first!...Our region was just given access back in December to receive them on allocation.

Call me if you want any further info on it so I don't thread jack this recall thread.

Last edited:

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
So in other words, if it comes to dealer discretion then i should take a flying leap at the moon?

2006nightrider

Reaction score
So in other words, if it comes to dealer discretion then i should take a flying leap at the moon?

Lol....

UPDATE:

Please be advised of the following announcement of the amendment to our first recall (90L), on Potential Floormat Interference. *Full amended press release/Q&A can be found on
Pressroom: *http://www.pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

Amended Recall
Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal

On Wednesday, January 27, 2010, Toyota sent a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration amending Toyota’s Defect Information Report of October 5, 2009 regarding the potential risk for floor mat entrapment of accelerator pedals in certain Toyota and Lexus models.* Toyota has decided to include certain other models in the campaign.* The specific model names and years associated with the newly-expanded population of subject vehicles for the pedal entrapment recall include:
2008-2010*Highlander
2009-2010*Corolla
2009-2010*Venza
2009-2010*Matrix
2009-2010*Pontiac Vibe
As of January 26, 2010 the total vehicle population increased by approximately 1,093,000 vehicles.
Toyota's remedy plan is to modify or replace the accelerator pedals on the subject vehicles to address the risk of floor mat entrapment, even when an older-design all weather floor mat or other inappropriate mat is improperly attached, or is placed on top of another floor mat.* Floor surface modifications are also being considered and will be included in the remedy plan for any model for which it is deemed appropriate.
Initially, dealers will be instructed on how to reshape the accelerator pedal for the repair.* As replacement parts with the same shape as the modified pedal become available, they will be made available to the dealers for the repair. Customers who have had the pedal reshape remedy completed will have the opportunity to receive a new pedal if they desire, after replacement pedals become available.
In addition, Toyota will replace any Toyota all-weather floor mat in a subject vehicle with a newly designed mat, free of charge. For those customers who have the previous design all-weather floor mat but do not need or want the newly designed all-weather floor mat, Toyota will recover the previous design all-weather floor mat and reimburse its price.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
***Received another email this morning***

RECALL REMEDY

Today, Toyota executives and technical staff met with officials at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and presented a remedy regarding sticking accelerator pedals on certain models, which NHTSA is examining.

Plans are being developed on a variety of fronts. Tomorrow, we will update you with further details.

Toyota has issued a public statement on the meeting with NHTSA, which is displayed below. We will continue to try to keep you informed. In between our updates, we encourage you to visit the Toyota USA Newsroom (www.toyotanewsroom.com) for further information.

Toyota Update Regarding Recalls

Nothing is more important to Toyota than doing the right thing for our customers -- and restoring their confidence in the safety of our vehicles. We deeply regret the concern that our recalls are causing for our loyal customers, and we are making an all-out effort to develop and implement effective remedies as quickly as we can.

Our highest priority is to fix the accelerator pedal problems for our existing customers. We want to reassure Toyota owners that instances of sticking pedals are rare and generally do not occur suddenly. Toyota is currently in the process of recalling vehicles to remedy the issue of pedal entrapment and we have begun sending instructions to customers about how we will fix their vehicles. Customers who have any questions or have experienced any issues with their accelerator pedals should visit Toyota.com, contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331, or call their local Toyota dealer.

We’ve identified the cause of the problem and are focusing all of our energy and resources on developing and thoroughly testing remedies. Our engineers have been working around the clock and we’ve been in direct communication with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) throughout this process. We also appreciate the opportunity to inform the House Committee on Energy and Commerce about our efforts to address this situation for our customers and we pledge our full cooperation with the Committee.

Toyota has taken the unprecedented step of stopping production to help serve our customers quickly and ensure that all new Toyota vehicles going forward do not experience this problem. Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America (TEMA) has also been working closely with our pedal supplier CTS on a revised design that effectively remedies the problem. These pedals are now in full production at CTS to support Toyota’s needs. At the same time, we continue to work with CTS to test effective pedal modifications for existing vehicles on the road that will be available to our customers as quickly as possible.

We appreciate the comments that Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood made today about the way Toyota has stepped up to meet our responsibilities to our customers, and we are determined to continue fulfilling our commitment to put our customers first.

Geaux Nads

Reaction score
Great Information. Way to keep all of us up to date on what the F*&k is going on.

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
I'm disappointed that it took a threat of a congressional investigation to get a statement from Toyota. They should have made a public statement a long time ago (2 years ago when they thought it was a cruise control issue) I was going to get a Lexus, but now it's going to be a CTS-V.

HiTek21

Reaction score
I wonder if Toyota will tell me to remove my weather tech floor liners in my camry. I have the metal SE pedal and with these weathertech floor liners theres no way the pedal can get jammed behind it.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Here is the latest email from Toyota this morning (the Tacoma will no longer be getting the pedal re-shaped or the tibia replaced:biggrin:, as far as the all-weather floor mats go...I have no idea, I'm sure that will come down to the dealership):

Toyota
Announces Comprehensive Plan to Fix Accelerator Pedals on Recalled Vehicles and Ensure Customer Safety

Toyota Will Make Concerted Effort to Repair Recalled Vehicles as Quickly and Conveniently as Possible

TORRANCE, Calif., February 1, 2010 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS) U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will begin fixing accelerator pedals in recalled Toyota Division vehicles this week. Toyota’s engineers have developed and rigorously tested a solution that involves reinforcing the pedal assembly in a manner that eliminates the excess friction that has caused the pedals to stick in rare instances. In addition, Toyota has developed an effective solution for vehicles in production.

Parts to reinforce the pedals are already being shipped for use by dealers, and dealer training is under way. Many Toyota dealers will work extended hours to complete the recall campaign as quickly and conveniently as possible, some even staying open 24 hours a day. The company has also taken the unprecedented action of stopping production of affected vehicles for the week of February 1.

“Nothing is more important to us than the safety and reliability of the vehicles our customers drive,” said Jim Lentz, president and Chief Operating Officer, TMS. “We deeply regret the concern that our recalls have caused for our customers and we are doing everything we can – as fast as we can – to make things right. Stopping production is never an easy decision, but we are 100% confident it was the right decision. We know what’s causing the sticking accelerator pedals, and we know what we have to do to fix it. We also know it is most important to fix this problem in the cars on the road.”

Lentz added: “We are focused on making this recall as simple and trouble-free as possible, and will work day and night with our dealers to fix recalled vehicles quickly. We want to demonstrate that our commitment to safety is as high as ever and that our commitment to our customers is unwavering.”

On January 21, Toyota announced its intention to recall approximately 2.3 million select Toyota Division vehicles equipped with a specific pedal assembly and suspended sales of the eight models involved in the recall on January 26.

Toyota vehicles affected by the recall include:
• Certain 2009-2010 RAV4
• Certain 2009-2010 Corolla
• 2009-2010 Matrix
• 2005-2010 Avalon
• Certain 2007-2010 Camry
• Certain 2010 Highlander
• 2007-2010 Tundra
• 2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also no longer affected by the recall are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, Highlander hybrids. Certain Camry models, including Camry hybrids, will remain for sale.

Further, Camry, RAV4, Corolla and Highlander vehicles with Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) that begin with "J" are not affected by the accelerator pedal recall.

In the event that a driver experiences an accelerator pedal that sticks in a partial open throttle position or returns slowly to idle position, the vehicle can be controlled with firm and steady application of the brakes. The brakes should not be pumped repeatedly because it could deplete vacuum assist, requiring stronger brake pedal pressure. The vehicle should be driven to the nearest safe location, the engine shut off and a Toyota dealer contacted for assistance.

Detailed information and answers to questions about issues related to this recall are available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and at the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

How Toyota Will Fix Recalled Vehicles

Toyota has pinpointed the issue that could, on rare occasions, cause accelerator pedals in recalled vehicles to stick in a partially open position. The issue involves a friction device in the pedal designed to provide the proper “feel” by adding resistance and making the pedal steady and stable. The device includes a shoe that rubs against an adjoining surface during normal pedal operation. Due to the materials used, wear and environmental conditions, these surfaces may, over time, begin to stick and release instead of operating smoothly. In some cases, friction could increase to a point that the pedal is slow to return to the idle position or, in rare cases, the pedal sticks, leaving the throttle partially open.

Toyota’s solution for current owners is both effective and simple. A precision-cut steel reinforcement bar will be installed into the assembly that will reduce the surface tension between the friction shoe and the adjoining surface. With this reinforcement in place, the excess friction that can cause the pedal to stick is eliminated. The company has confirmed the effectiveness of the newly reinforced pedals through rigorous testing on pedal assemblies that had previously shown a tendency to stick.

Separately from the recall for sticking accelerator pedals, Toyota is in the process of recalling vehicles to address rare instances in which floor mats have trapped the accelerator pedal in certain Toyota and Lexus models (announced November 25, 2009), and is already notifying customers about how it will fix this issue. In the case of vehicles covered by both recalls, it is Toyota’s intention to remedy both at the same time.

Reaction score
Interesting. I've had my truck lunge forward when I downshift into 2nd. I have heard the AC compressor may be trying to keep the idle too high? I guess they are saying the pedal isn't causing that?

DC29

Reaction score
so what if you dont take your truck in for the recall?

i dont want that brake override on my truck.

i could see more accidents happening due to losing power steering and power brakes when my motor shuts off on the freeway, that and the fact that you no longer have an engine to produce forward movement makes you a sitting target on the fwy.- just a couple thoughts i had..

Top Bottom