Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

URD Trac Bar Finished!

Clewis333

Reaction score
Finished my Traction bar installation. and can't tell ya how different it feels. Of course there's no wheel hop anymore. but also there is alot more traction (hence traction bar).Thanks G for letting me know that you don't need the middle bolt!
8a7c987b.jpg

59345c21.jpg
bcc33231.jpg

And here is a 0-60 run with the traction bar.
(pardon the shaky camera work, filmed it myself.)

hiflyer

Reaction score
Hahahaha nice

I did the same thing today too, but spun so bad through first that it was useless ;)

Used my contour :)

Clewis333

Reaction score
Yup. that was like the last video i did. the first runs were a lil rough.
i don't know what a contour is, but i used my iPhone

Emanon

Reaction score
I love the difference it makes even when driving sedately.

FireB

Reaction score
This is one great piece of information posted.
I will be back from overseas and hope to put this bar on the weekend!
Thank you

FireB

Reaction score
How low did it take for you to complete the installation?
Any tricks you wanna share upon installation?
Did you drain the oil on the diffs?

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Definitely a great mod...........but a pain to install. I remember back in the day I installed mine in my garage.. one word of advice is to check that top nut on the mounting assembly Anthe diff. It has a tendency to loosen up. I chopped a angles wrench to fit in that area easier.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
Definitely a great mod...........but a pain to install. I remember back in the day I installed mine in my garage.. one word of advice is to check that top nut on the mounting assembly Anthe diff. It has a tendency to loosen up. I chopped a angles wrench to fit in that area easier.

Ya I paid to have mine installed last week. Haha. No access to a garage at the moment and the weathers been shit. I knew it wouldnt be a quick job. Buddy that put it in told me I would of been in my driveway all day. Even he had some difficulty with a hoist.

Clewis333

Reaction score
How low did it take for you to complete the installation?
Any tricks you wanna share upon installation?
Did you drain the oil on the diffs?

Tip: 1. Get used to using the double nut technique (to take the differential bolts out and put the longer bolts in)
2. Get some crowfeet (14mm is needed for the rear mount)
3. Get lots of WD-40 for the rubber bushings (big pain in the A)
4. Get a huge socket for draining the differential (i used a 24 mm and it stripped the sh*t out of my differential bolt. ended up taking it out with a pipe wrench :eviltongue:)
I think that's about it. i bought like 4 quarts of diff fluid and an fluid additive
f65a2d54.jpg

Good luck! it took me awhile cuz i didn't know what to do about the middle bolt on the front mount. URD!:blurock:

Can you elaborate please? I thought the traction bar is more for hard launches and controlling wheel hop?

Thanks in advanced.

Everything about the truck just feels smoother. IDK how to explain it any other way than that.

Last edited:

FireB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I read upon the double nut technique but really can't grasp the concept.
Why would you need 2 nuts to be next to each other to loosen the bolts?
So confizzle with that technique. :frown:

I think I have the crappy Electric LSD so it might be using different oil from yours.
I saw an instruction on this page
http://www.sporttruck.com/techartic...ar_installation_on_a_toyota_tacoma/index.html

That I might be able to get away with couple of drops of diff oil even without draining it.
But again, I shouldn't be cheap that way right?!
LOL

Thanks, I might just attach this bar this weekend!

Emanon

Reaction score
Can you elaborate please? I thought the traction bar is more for hard launches and controlling wheel hop?

Thanks in advanced.

Like Lewis said the truck feels smoother. The bar whether driving hard or sedate keeps the back end planted. Which means even minor bumps in the road during normal driving no longer cause the back to end to hop/shift/move whatever term you want to describe it. It's feels as if you driving around with a load in the bed keeping it more planted w/o the negative side effects from the weight.

I read upon the double nut technique but really can't grasp the concept. Why would you need 2 nuts to be next to each other to loosen the bolts?

I think I have the crappy Electric LSD so it might be using different oil from yours.
http://www.sporttruck.com/techartic...ar_installation_on_a_toyota_tacoma/index.html

That I might be able to get away with couple of drops of diff oil even without draining it.
LOL

You have to use a double nut technique as they are not bolts but studs. There is nothing for a wrench/socket to grab onto. You put one nut on, then the second, tightening the top one down, nice and firm. Then use the bottom nut to loosen the stud. Trick here is not to thread the first nut all the way down leave some threads.

IMHO drain the fluid I'm glad and saved myself the headache. Be sure to get some Right Stuff Gasket and put a decent amount on each stud before installing.

Last edited:

FireB

Reaction score
Oh, now it totally make sense!
Thank you!

At the same time, what are some nice diff oil that people are using here?

Murderface

Reaction score
I like the Royal Purple dif fluid myself. Back when I had my Dakota R/T incould hear the dif making a noise at low speed turns. I dumped the old fluid and put in the Royal Purple fluid and the noise was gone and it actually was smoother then before, that is slow speed turns. I have used Amsoil in the past but I've since given up on the novalty of their products.

RRCanuck

Reaction score
im still waiing for mine to ship

Thats brutal bud. I remember you posting that you bought it before the group buy. Picked mine up in Niagara and have had it on the truck for a week now. Shipping to Canada is just flippin brutal.

hiflyer

Reaction score
find a drop shipper in Buffalo !

I drive to montana to avoid the &^%#(@# fees...

Just gang up a few things & save myself HUGE $$$$

Clewis333

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply

I read upon the double nut technique but really can't grasp the concept.
Why would you need 2 nuts to be next to each other to loosen the bolts?

LOL

You have to drain the whole diff:laugh: there's studs at the bottom of the diff that you have to take out... don't go cheap all of a sudden
and you put the first nut on, and the second nut you tighten while you loosen the first bolt, forcing the two nuts together bonds the nuts to the stud. and then you can remove the stud.

Top Bottom