Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

washing your x-runner

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I like sheepskin wash mitts over microfiber. I think it traps less crap; just doesn't last as long though but seems to be more easy on the paint.

I also like a good quality leather chamois (Meguiars Super Thick Sheepskin Chamois - Gold Class) over anything else when it comes to drying. The texture of the chamois shines the truck while you dry, doesn't scratch, and is super absorbent (holds 7x its own weight in water).

I use one bucket for soap and one bucket for rinse. Always dip your wash mitt into the rinse bucket (and agitate) before you dip it into the soap bucket when re-upping on suds. This washes the grit out of the mit and reduces the chances of scratches by a lot.

Keep the truck wet and work in sections (clean one section at a time). Coating the entire truck in suds at once just allows the soap to dry onto the truck while you scrub it down.

I use a foam applicator pad for tire dressings (tire wet). This way saves you money because you don't need to spray as much onto the tire to get the results you want. You also don't get any overspray on your truck or driveway.

Wash top to bottom. Scrub the lower panels of the truck last as to not transfer any grit to the top. The lower panels on the truck are much more dirty then the uppers.

HiTek21

Reaction score
I usually like to clean my wheels first before washing the truck. After I finish drying them I will cover them with a large trash bag to keep them from getting sprayed so I don't have to dry them again. I hate waterspots

Coopstain

Reaction score
For a full wash, polish, wax: I use Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash with a sheep skin mitt (two buckets like everyone else has suggested.. one to dip, the other to rinse) and then dry off quickly with an electic blower. I rarely clay bar, but when i do i use Mothers. Then apply Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and after its dry, I use Turtle Wax ICE liquid wax. I use microfiber applicators and microfiber towels to apply and wipe away residue. For wheels and tires, i use Meguiars Hot Rims and Armour All Extreme Tire (orange bottle) with the applicator provided.

Then for shows, i have Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer with a microfiber towel. Stuff is great. Interior I just picked up the Turtle Wax ICE interior kit. Havent used it yet, ill let you guys know when i do with the results. I havent had the need to wax my XR yet since i got it last week and it still looks awesome. Im probably gonna do it tomorrow (pollen is a Biatch). All the stuff that i said i used above (with the exception of the ICE interior kit) i used on my Matrix. Havent had any issues with any of it.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I get the girlfriend to clean the wheels why I do the rest of the truck, lol.

For a full wash, polish, wax: I use Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash with a sheep skin mitt (two buckets like everyone else has suggested.. one to dip, the other to rinse) and then dry off quickly with an electic blower. I rarely clay bar, but when i do i use Mothers. Then apply Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and after its dry, I use Turtle Wax ICE liquid wax. I use microfiber applicators and microfiber towels to apply and wipe away residue. For wheels and tires, i use Meguiars Hot Rims and Armour All Extreme Tire (orange bottle) with the applicator provided.

Then for shows, i have Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer with a microfiber towel. Stuff is great. Interior I just picked up the Turtle Wax ICE interior kit. Havent used it yet, ill let you guys know when i do with the results. I havent had the need to wax my XR yet since i got it last week and it still looks awesome. Im probably gonna do it tomorrow (pollen is a Biatch). All the stuff that i said i used above (with the exception of the ICE interior kit) i used on my Matrix. Havent had any issues with any of it.

What electric dryer do you use? Does it work well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
What electric dryer do you use? Does it work well?

I got this one from Sears, it works well for $35 :top:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07174820000P?keyword=craftsman+blower

Stevenredx

Reaction score
How long does it take to dry the truck with that pig lol? It dries spot free?

haha... no longer than it would with a towel, as long as you have a good coat of wax the water will blow right off with zero spots. :top: Its also VERY good for the wheels, keeps those water spots of the shiny lip. :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Anyone ever ask you why you are using a leaf blower on your truck? hahaha.

Hmmm... I may just pick that slut up tonight.

Reaction score
I just goto the local touchless car wash in town...it washes my truck 10x better and quicker then I ever could.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Ive never had my truck come out cleaner then by hand wash. Does the touchless use super high pressure water to get it that clean?

Reaction score
Ive never had my truck come out cleaner then by hand wash. Does the touchless use super high pressure water to get it that clean?
Im not talking about the ones at gas stations...its a touch free company out of houston...they are the best car washes I have uses...high pressure wash, triple shield wax, rockerpanel wash, spot free rinse, air blowers...the works...when I had my rims I would juts go through it and shine them up and all my other chrome accents on my 4runner afterwards.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Hmmmm if I find one im going to have to try it. Id mainly be worried about pressure high enough to rip grime off the truck to also damage/rip paint off the truck.

Reaction score
Hmmmm if I find one im going to have to try it. Id mainly be worried about pressure high enough to rip grime off the truck to also damage/rip paint off the truck.
yeah I forget the name of the company...but nah its not a blaster lol...it's a good ammount of pressure nothing thats going to rip the paint off. When I do have the time I do wash my truck myself, on a good day.

X-Runnin

Reaction score

Thats what one of them did to my rear fenders, put about a nickel sized chip in it :thumpdown: got it replaced though:top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Thats what one of them did to my rear fenders, put about a nickel sized chip in it :thumpdown: got it replaced though:top:

Hmmm I guess I will stay out of them then lol. Thanks for the post!

Xample

Reaction score
i go to a soft touch and it's fabolous! no problems, not a high pressure, and air dry

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
:laugh: Man I wish there was one around here, a touchless low pressure car wash that is...

Xample

Reaction score
it's badass $10 ..rainx, wax, underbody wash, much more and you drive in a groove so it never goes by your rims :top:

X'ED

Reaction score
brushes on wheels and tire wells --- good
brushes on painted surfaces----- BAD

yes use an mitt, micro, or syn. type if you use a brush be prepard to spen some time with a buffer....

Top Bottom