Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

'69 camaro ss 350

j_bird420

Reaction score
ok, so check this out! while making a run to the store to get a monster, i had a 69 camaro ss350 pull up to me. (it was a really nice car), he revved up, so we went! he had the low end, but i had the top end of the tach. he was in 5th gear standing on it and i was in 4th giving it hell! after about 110 he gave up and i was the victor!

x-runner I
camaro 0:boxing:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
at 110, who was in front when he gave up?...If he was in front and let off, I would say he won...otherwise, congrats!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Wow! I would never go after an old car. You never know what's under the hood!

Super Werty

Reaction score
the sad thing is the car is 40 years old and it kept up pretty well

almost makes me want to rip the motor out and start over.....not really:laugh:

EDIT: btw they dont have a 5th gear unless it has been modified

PascoX

Reaction score
It just depends on how the car is set up. You can have a nice show car that has an original worn out motor in it, or you can have somebody that has a nice worked motor in it, all depends on the owner just like anything else. I still have the stock 318 in my 68 Dodge, that motor came with a 2 barrel carb and was rated at 245 horsepower, and that is probably to the crank. Also the car has a 904 Torqueflite automatic tranny with an open rear end. I put on a four barrel carb that is not dialed in for that motor. Also the automatic tranny is very parasitic and probably knocks the horsepower down to the mid to high 100's. Now if you were sitting next to me at a redlight, you would see a show quality car that has 440 badges all over it. (And 440 is the model not the motor size like most people think). You would hear a mean rumble coming from the true dual exhaust and Thrush Turbo mufflers. However the car handles like a boat even though I redid the suspension. And has severe acceleration problems due to the carb not being set up right, and a lack of power due to the stock cam being in place. This is very embarrassing and I can't believe I'm admitting it to my XR-U brothers and sisters. But I tried to race a V6 Tibby in it and my car fell on its face. Now the funny part is I have Mach 1 mustangs, Corvettes, and Saleen and Cobra Mustangs all acting like idiots in traffic. But as soon as they sit at a redlight next to me, they see the nice car with 440 badges and hear the rumble. Then they look straight ahead. When the light turns green they slowly accelerate and don't try to mess with me, cause they are very afraid of what is under the hood. I always get a laugh out of this, cause only if they knew the truth.
Now on the other end of the spectrum, my Uncle and I built a very warmed over 440 and shoe horned it into a Dodge Dart. The car was dyno'd at 450 to the crank and 325 to the street. The car looks like an old librarian car, and every Mustang likes to rev and act like an idiot till they get their butt handed to them, then turn away from the Grandma mobile that beat them. The car has beat Hemi Rams and Chargers.
The moral of the story is : You never know what is under the hood, just because a car looks nice doesn't mean it has the power, and beware of easy wins.
So Congrats on the win bro, I believe you.:top:

Top Bottom