Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AMD or Intel?

Which processor should I go with?

• Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
PC ACCEL VIDS FTW: http://www.hvmotorsports.com/offtopic/compquick.mov

She opens up Photoshop CS4 like its a web browser lol.

I finally got to finish this thing up, the wiring came out very clean.

I replaced the bridge block with one from MIPS in Germany and ditched the cruddy stocker:

pcbridgeblock.jpg

PCwatercool2.jpg

PCwatercool3.jpg

pcgfx.jpg

Well enough free time for me, onto the next projects.

Last edited:

TRD-X

Reaction score
Hey Donny think that's called pimping your pc Yo!!!:adore::adore:Yea that's just sick Cuz!:top:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I aint got no cash for that kinda shit LOL , seriously I want boost, rims, more rims, drop, more rims, and a house, and brakes, then a pimp pc

TRD-X

Reaction score
I aint got no cash for that kinda shit LOL , seriously I want boost, rims, more rims, drop, more rims, and a house, and brakes, then a pimp pc
My laptop works just fine for the stuff I do.:top:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Very nice Doug:adore:

In my previous post, that computer is now on back order at newegg.com, and I don't feel like waiting 3-4 weeks to get it. Tigerdirect has it, but it's more money:thumpdown:...so right now it looks like I might be building it, or looking at something else:dontknow:.

Sooooo Doug and Mike....what sort of hardware do you guys have that I could use?

EDIT: BTW, I already received the extra 4GB (2x2GB) RAM (Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600) that I ordered from newegg (for the computer I can't get:laugh:)...so I need something that supports that

Last edited:

Tunedx

Reaction score
Depends whats u going to use it for. I'm going to be doing a htpc build in the up coming months. Intel dual core e52 2.5ghz is all I need.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Well... My philosophy is that there is never a computer that is too fast.

The less time I spend waiting, the more satisfied I am ;).

I wonder how long we spend waiting for a application to load or an OS to boot over the course of a lifetime?

using a dual channel memory kit completely rules out a i7 processor line up, you really want that memory bandwidth to take advantage of it (as excessive as it is).

Id look at some of the dual/quad cores with a mobo that supports that RAM (or if it doesn't you will have some awesome overclocking headroom lol.

You can extract good performance out of the latest quad cores.

spend your money on a GOOD processor heatsink and find a motherboard that you like with GOOD north/south/mosfet cooling.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Any board by:

ASUS - Great OC boards but quality control has a lot to be desired, cool colors, usually great onboard cooling, can be expensive for what you get (none the less a very solid OC board)
GIGABYTE - Great OCing, Great Technology, DUAL BIOS, usually great onboard cooling, Crappy Colors (goes head to head with ASUS but usually wins out in bang for buck).
EVGA - They have been making some real nice boards lately but can be spendy for what you get.
MSI - usually good OCing, good value, nothing too extreme in any direction
INTEL AKA FOXCONN (very stable at stock & mildly over stock clocks, cool colors, so-so onboard cooling (nice flame mosfet heatsinks)

Last edited:

shaX 07

Reaction score
They're both great processors and I don't really know if I like one better than the other... Many years ago I would have said AMD's processors were above the Intel's but I think that with Intel's Core processors they have stepped up their game quite a bit...

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Nice...does that support DDR3 memory?

Nah. I'm not jumping on the DDR3 bandwagon anytime soon. The advantages IMO, don't really make up for current pricing. Don't get me wrong, DDR3 is nice, but I still feel it's in infancy.

Also, I'm not using an i7 either(which is one of the main reason's I haven't jumped on DDR3), I'm using an unreleased engineering sample processor. It's a QX9750, a 3.16GHz Quad, with 12MB L2, and an unlocked multiplier. The thing is beast, 3.83GHz overclock on voltages under stock voltages. I also took it to 3.93 GHz, but on stock voltages, and all the way up to 4.2GHz on voltages slightly higher than stock. At the time, I was limited by my motherboard, but I know the thing has a lot left in it.

My other motherboard died for no apparent reason, so I picked this one up. It's rated as being the best board to overclock a 775 processor on. I will be testing that out soon enough!

Here is a pic of me dicking around in the BIOS with my processor, courtesy of the unlocked multiplier(incase you don't know exactly what you are looking at, that is 27.22GHz):
lolghz.jpg

Also, here are some hard load temps that I was posting right after my water cool install. CoreTemp doesn't read my processor/voltage(the voltage was actually 1.408v) right because it's an ES chip, but the temps are accurate. I had a near 15 degree drop in load temps, it was awesome:
loadtemps.jpg

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
mike I agree with you on DDR3...its still in its infancy and its too pricey right now for regular consumers like you and I...in a year or so when DDR3 drops in price that's when I will upgrade...

but that is 1 BAD ASS mother board you got there...how and where did you get that QX9750...I would love a 27.22GHZ processor...:biggrin::adore::rockon: I'm so jealous of you right now...

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
mike I agree with you on DDR3...its still in its infancy and its too pricey right now for regular consumers like you and I...in a year or so when DDR3 drops in price that's when I will upgrade...

but that is 1 BAD ASS mother board you got there...how and where did you get that QX9750...I would love a 27.22GHZ processor...:biggrin::adore::rockon: I'm so jealous of you right now...

Lol, I didn't actually run it out of BIOS like that, but that is what it would have been if I saved the changes. Also, it didn't have anything to do with the motherboard, it was all the processor. The multiplier is unlocked on it, so you can multiple the FSB by a LOT. If I remember correctly, I was running at the stock FSB, which is 1333MHz, and it was at a x81.5 multiplier, lol.

The QX9750 I ended up getting from a friend, who happens to be an Intel Rep/tester. By law, he can't sell an ES chip, but he had no use for it, and knew I would love it, so he gave it to me.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
mmmmm Gigabyte.

Your watering this one as well, I hope...

Old board took a crap on yu eh?

Yeah, essentially, everything is the same, just changing the motherboard. Had someone test out my processor because I didn't have another 775 mobo, and my processor turned out to be fine. The absolute only other thing it could have been was the motherboard.

To be honest, this is going to actually be an upgrade from my other motherboard. I was rolling a 750i FTW board, and it worked great, however it had a few downsides. The main downside was, it didn't really like it when I did any FSB changes. This was actually a common problem with the board, which could be a pretty big hindrance when overclocking. The other big downside was the lack of SATA ports, it only had four. Other than that, it was a great board before it died, especially for an nVidia chipset. I originally was going to get the UD3P, but didn't because it wasn't SLi compatible. Of course, I ended up not even running SLi, and don't really ever plan to, so it doesn't matter anymore that it isn't SLi compatible.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Lol, I didn't actually run it out of BIOS like that, but that is what it would have been if I saved the changes. Also, it didn't have anything to do with the motherboard, it was all the processor. The multiplier is unlocked on it, so you can multiple the FSB by a LOT. If I remember correctly, I was running at the stock FSB, which is 1333MHz, and it was at a x81.5 multiplier, lol.

i love the having multiplier...its TITS...

The QX9750 I ended up getting from a friend, who happens to be an Intel Rep/tester. By law, he can't sell an ES chip, but he had no use for it, and knew I would love it, so he gave it to me.

hook a brother up...:biggrin:

Dekar12

Reaction score
Wow... Guess DDR3 prices really took off.

When I bought my 3x2gb stuff it was $115 now its almost like $200 for the same stuff.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Well, shortly after getting the new board, the ES chip took a big crap. So, I said screw it, RMA'd the Gigabyte board, and built myself a new setup. Everything came in today, here is what I got...

i7860mem.jpg

I got an EVGA P55 FTW motherboard too, but I can't use it due to my water setup. Out of the three PCI-E slots, the X16 lane is at the top, and my card can't fit there because of my water pump. I would have to put my card in a X4 lane, which would be $#!t. I ordered an EVGA P55 FTW 200, which has 3 PCI-EX16 lanes, to replace it.

Top Bottom