Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calling all transmission issues on Xrunner

X-roller

Reaction score
hey ima newb to the x runner scence i just bought mine 2 weeks ago and im having the same issue as NTINHRI

"5th actually grinds at high speeds and high rpm if you shift normal. If I press the clutch bump like im going to shift to 6th but then push up to 5th no problem. If not 5th will grind. Also normally 90% of the time I shift 1-2-3-4-6 or 1-2-4-6"

can somebody give me some advice on what can cause this issue and what i need to do to solve it. i bought my truck from a dealership with a 100,000 mile warranty and the truck has 54xxx as of now. Does the truck need some better fluid or is it a syncro problem? please help. thank you

Since all you have is a 5th gear issue. I would recommend MT90 redline to see if that fixes your issue. It fixed mine right away and the shifts are a lot smoother. I still have a second gear grind but I think I know what that issue is. Hopefully i'll tear into the tranny next weekend.

toyo4life

Reaction score
Since all you have is a 5th gear issue. I would recommend MT90 redline to see if that fixes your issue. It fixed mine right away and the shifts are a lot smoother. I still have a second gear grind but I think I know what that issue is. Hopefully i'll tear into the tranny next weekend.

thanks man! imma give that a shot and ill let you guys know how it works out. :top:

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
I was having the 2nd gear grind at high RPMs really badly until right before the Pac NW X-Fest meet, I took apart my center console and pulled my shifter off. I had a couple loose bolts so I cleaned them all up, cleaned the bearing on the bottom of the shifter, applied some loctite and screwed everything back down as hard as I damn well could. I didn't drive the truck for 24 hours to make sure it set properly and you know what? I ran about 15 passes at the drag strip and didn't grind -once-

That is a massive improvement from a 75-80% chance of it grinding at high rpms. As a matter of fact, I can't even get it to grind anymore 1st-2nd. Pull your shifters off and loctite them ladies! :laugh:

X-roller

Reaction score
I was having the 2nd gear grind at high RPMs really badly until right before the Pac NW X-Fest meet, I took apart my center console and pulled my shifter off. I had a couple loose bolts so I cleaned them all up, cleaned the bearing on the bottom of the shifter, applied some loctite and screwed everything back down as hard as I damn well could. I didn't drive the truck for 24 hours to make sure it set properly and you know what? I ran about 15 passes at the drag strip and didn't grind -once-

That is a massive improvement from a 75-80% chance of it grinding at high rpms. As a matter of fact, I can't even get it to grind anymore 1st-2nd. Pull your shifters off and loctite them ladies! :laugh:

lol. I wish it were that easy. Mine would have been fixed as off yesterday since I did my fluid swap if that was the case!!... Lucky fix for you. I pull my shifter off and fill it that way instead of trying to fill it thru the fill hole underneath. I also pulled it off to check out the links and see if there was any damage to them or loose parts. Nothing. :(... Guess I have to look further in now by tearing the tranny apart...

Viperj_13

Reaction score
I had the 2nd gear and 5th gear grind. I first noticed it right around 2k miles. I was getting sick and tired of always having to baby my transmission. I took it to my local stealership and they replaced the whole transmission under warrenty. I was at 13k when it was replaced and I am at 39k now, so far so good.

LEFTY'Z SWB

Reaction score
Well Im on my second trans.. first one was second and third grinds.. said it was sychros and replaced.. the trans i have now is bout a year old and im having the hi rev fith as well, but truck is outta warranty and know they will just turn me away..

05Xrunner

Reaction score
i nver had any issues..I can rip it into 2nd gear at redline with no grinds..unless my feet go faster then my hand and I let the clutch out to fast. no 5th gear issues either..had MT90 in it since it was at 1200miles.

XPC_XR

Reaction score
Mine grinds 4th gear every now and then. First few times I thought it was me but its happened before when I was specifically watching what I was doing.

X-roller

Reaction score
i'm currently working on a fix for that. :top: just hold tight for now. it's not gonna be cheap if you guys want me to do it for you. I think I have figured out some things that I wanna try on this tranny. :biggrin:

SX TOY

Reaction score
i nver had any issues..I can rip it into 2nd gear at redline with no grinds..unless my feet go faster then my hand and I let the clutch out to fast. no 5th gear issues either..had MT90 in it since it was at 1200miles.

I think you just got lucky my friend
when they installed my replacement tranny I had them put in mt90 and I have difficulty engaging some gears as well as a second grind. the new tranny is only at about 6500 miles. I have been daily driving and weekend racing manual transmissions since 1990.

Ray08BSPx

Reaction score
My tranmission works perfect, but i think im starting to get the throw out bearing problem. It almost sounds like a loose belt the way it's starting to squeak. Only at idle in neutral with the clutch out. I kust broke 17000 miles. How screwed up does it need to be before i can get em to replace it under warranty?

Murderface

Reaction score
I think you just got lucky my friend
when they installed my replacement tranny I had them put in mt90 and I have difficulty engaging some gears as well as a second grind. the new tranny is only at about 6500 miles. I have been daily driving and weekend racing manual transmissions since 1990.

Guess I'm lucky too. Mine never grinds, NEVER. Well only when my feet move faster then my hands ha ha. I can't complain too much, it's just that stupid TO bearing that pisses me off

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I have a second gear gring but it's because I'll go to shift from first to second and it will lock me out, so I'm thinking it should be in second and I let the clutch out and that's when it will grind.

I thought I was having this issue, until I paid attention once and I know the clutch was to the floor, and I kept trying to pull it into second like 3 times until it finally went in:thumpdown: grinding each time

Sometime the gears just feel crunchy, not really grinding, but not a smooth engagement:dontknow:

just over 16k miles

Gonna try to replace fluid soon.... amsoil or mt90?

Murderface

Reaction score
Well it seems that if i try to shift to third too quickly(being the 1st or 2nd gear shift after parked)it wants to grind 3rd gear? But after the first couple times i can slam it with no grind. Ive been using Amsoil synthetic 75W-90W(think thatsnright) and im thinking of switching to a thinner Amsoil Synchromesh fluid but only if it still does it once i get the TSK45 installed in a week or two.

We'll see what happens

keean06Xrunner

Reaction score
Mine just started today when the truck wont go into reverse unless its forced and all gears clunk loudly while sitting in place theres often a grind going into secound gear but nothing in the upper gears i had it grind while shifting down to first this evening , and spoke with the previous truck owner who said under warrenty the truck has had its transmission replaced 3 times because of some syncon thing, in any case i think i will be paying for this one out of my pocket if the clutch fluid dosent pull through

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I thought I was having this issue, until I paid attention once and I know the clutch was to the floor, and I kept trying to pull it into second like 3 times until it finally went in:thumpdown: grinding each time
?

This^

Happens to me way to often....i still think it might be what CD said, Feet moving faster than arms...:dontknow:

BlkX-Runner

Reaction score
sticky transmission

I bought a 2005 X-Runner with 17k miles on it, I now have around 22k. What is up with the transmissions in these things. I have issues going into 2nd gear....I try to move the selector far left, or shift loose straight down. Sometimes it works, but im always binding up, and afraid of destroying this transmission. I dont shift hard, or power shift.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
All of a sudden my shifter has a lot of play in it and I have picked up a grind into 5th. When the trains is in gear I can wobble the shifter around quite a bit. I nee some help with this ASAP before I head to the track....?..

justin13703

Reaction score
All of a sudden my shifter has a lot of play in it and I have picked up a grind into 5th. When the trains is in gear I can wobble the shifter around quite a bit. I nee some help with this ASAP before I head to the track....?..

Only thing you can do about that is buy a new shifter arm, buy a coupe modified shifter arm, or do the coupe modification yourself. That's what I did. Also might wanna check the white shifter bushing but it's unlikely that that's the problem

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Only thing you can do about that is buy a new shifter arm, buy a coupe modified shifter arm, or do the coupe modification yourself. That's what I did. Also might wanna check the white shifter bushing but it's unlikely that that's the problem

God to know thanks a lot so is it just worn out or what?

Top Bottom