Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Circuit City closing all stores

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/new...tm?postversion=2009011611&eref=rss_topstories

Circuit City announced today that they are going to liqify their assets and close all stores and 34,000 employees will be out of jobs.:thumpdown:
I post this because my brother is the store manager of the Circuit City in Roanoke, VA...and the bad thing is that his store is in the top 40 stores in the country in sales out of 567 total remaining stores. He's been with the company for over 15 years...
and now he and 34,000 other employees are out of a job:thumpdown:

XRUNX

Reaction score
damn that sucks now i cant send people there when they cant find what they want at walmart

fuseaku

Reaction score
Damn, and I just bought a new tv from there!

Mrs.K2

Argh, Oy Duncha-Know-Now
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your brother Geoff. He'll definitely be in our thought's while he is going through all this. :frown:

MusTrd

Reaction score
Wow, unfortunately businesses are going down left and right. They had already closed down some brand new stores here in the DFW area.

Knight Runner

Reaction score
I thought is was some that were closing but not all of them as in the comapny going out of business:frown:

LOW AND BLOWN

Reaction score
Ya this is sad, I was an Installation Mgr there for 13yrs. I was seening all these things, so I left for the USN. in 2005. Sure sucks to see such greed ruin a company I was with since High School:frown:

MusTrd

Reaction score
I thought is was some that were closing but not all of them as in the comapny going out of business:frown:

Yea they made that first announcement around the holidays, but apparently it wasn't enough to keep them afloat.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that Geoff.

It probably didn't help any that the holiday season this year was so low in sales:thumpdown:

Doesn't Circuit City own Carmax? My girl works at Carmax and they've been letting people go left and right

LOW AND BLOWN

Reaction score

It probably didn't help any that the holiday season this year was so low in sales:thumpdown:

Doesn't Circuit City own Carmax? My girl works at Carmax and they've been letting people go left and right
No they split back in 02-03 time frame

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your brother Geoff. He'll definitely be in our thought's while he is going through all this. :frown:
Thanks, i'm sure he'll be fine. He's got till sometime in march to find something else

I'd never heard that, but that's not to say that they don't. The economy sux right now and i'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more of this type of thing
I hope ole'lady doesn't get caught in the lay-off's...

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
The economy already f***ed up now with 34,000+ emplyee out of job, just make everything worser than it is......:thumpdown:

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
that mean crazy sales to liquidize the assets? that will be a riot.

sucks to hear..guess best buy is it now....and i believe they also project that unemployment will be in the double digits for the first time in years, and adding 34K people to that isnt going to make that number smaller...

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Heard this on the radio today, times are hard and i have a feeling we're gonna keep seeing/hearing things like this. :thumpdown:

HiTek21

Reaction score
dang that sucks :thumpdown: I always prefer to go to circuit city over best buy any day of the week

ntinhri

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/new...tm?postversion=2009011611&eref=rss_topstories

Circuit City announced today that they are going to liqify their assets and close all stores and 34,000 employees will be out of jobs.:thumpdown:
I post this because my brother is the store manager of the Circuit City in Roanoke, VA...and the bad thing is that his store is in the top 40 stores in the country in sales out of 567 total remaining stores. He's been with the company for over 15 years...
and now he and 34,000 other employees are out of a job:thumpdown:

tell your brother to come see me.. We are always looking for a manager!! Im at the lowes in bonsack

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
tell your brother to come see me.. We are always looking for a manager!! Im at the lowes in bonsack

I appreciate that Steve...I will def pass that on to him...
I talked to him last night and he said he has a couple possibilities but nothing for sure. I think the managers that stick around until they put the chains on the doors may get incentives for that but not sure what his plans are yet...but again thanks...XR-U family is the best...:rock:

Viet2100

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I worked at Circuit City and hated that *****hole. I have been working at Best Buy for a year and a half now and could not be happier with management and the way they run things. It does not matter how bad the economy is, people are still buying food and electronics. A local news team and reporter came in the other day and interviewed our staff and customers why they're still buying 50" T.V.s haha.

Top Bottom