Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine Knock hits K2 - where's the oil?

turbomach1

Reaction score
this is why i do all my own work to my vehicles. the only person i would be able to blame would be myself. learn from it and try dont to go down the same path again.

Rickysnickers

Reaction score
Another friend brought up an interesting idea. When I did the oil change the week before taking the truck into the dealer the amount drained seemed consistent with every other oil change I've ever done. So the truck was clearly not burning oil at that point in time. Is it possible that someone from the dealership took the supercharged X-Runner out for a test drive after replacing the cat and did some kind of major damage, like downshifting into redline? Is this a possibility? I've had that charger on for 3.5 years and never a problem until right after I take it to the dealership for engine work.

Maybe so. What was the recorded mileage when you dropped it off and when you picked it up? Hope you can get it all sorted.

Rick

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your truck. Have you looked around your oil pan and your front and rear seals for any signs of leaking?

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Klint

i feel your pain

Thanks Will. I know many of the old crew feel my pain but has anyone ever honed in on the CAUSE? I don't feel like I did anything wrong with my truck and yet at 58,000 miles I'm looking at having to drop in a new engine?! :punch:

ntinhri

Reaction score
THis sucks to hear..

How the HELL did I not blow my motor??? Guess I was a lucky SOB..

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Oil disappears for one of two reasons, it is either burned or leaked.

If it it didn't leak it, it burned it. If it did burn it, then getting it rod bearing replaced will only fix the knock, not the cause of where the oil went. If your truck had only 1 quart in it, then i would strongly recommend getting it compression tested, to make sure the rings aren't fried. If rings where are fried, then they probably scored the walls too...

the third option is that they didnt fill it up all the way when they changed the oil...If thats the case, good luck proving it....

I recommend replacement low mileage motor...That wont be $2000...try 5-6 at the stealer-ship. I'd take G-man up on his offer, buy the man a few (cases) beers, pic up a Ucon while your at it to make sure your motor is always running 100%. Your Map2 ECU might have done something screwy...who knows...

+1 to everyone who does there own oil change...i don't trust anyone touching my baby...

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
about a month ago we replaced the engine in my moms 05 4runner. she drives very conservatively and the 4r only had 50k miles. one day it developed that infamous knocking sounds and after checking the oil levels via dipstick, it was bone dry. my dad says that toyota was the last to perform service at 50k. eventually we just said f-it and sourced out another motor from an 08 trd off road tacoma with 30k miles and went about with the engine swap. the motor costed 2k.

my point is, it appears the dangerously low oil levels in these 1gr motors, seem to be a common problem. i guess we all should check out oil levels periodically no matter how meticulous we take care of our vehicles.

Roby124

Reaction score
yup, always do your own mechanical work. Don't trust those guys after a friend that works at a Toyota dealer told me a story....

Anyways, goodluck with your truck dude

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Sabotage? Maybe they knew you would come back and you would be out of warranty and they would be able to milk the cash out of you...

Joking...kinda...My brother in law is a mechanic and I have heard stories too.:ahhhhh:

How did the oil look when you drained it?

rich017

Reaction score
Well klint said he does his own oil changes. I have seen engines at my dealer run for months with just 1 or 2 quarts of oil in the pan. The 5.4L 3V's are known for sucking oil through the PCV and a lot of people never check their oil between oil changes that we do and there have been plenty of times where I drained trucks with 1qt in the pan and they have 200K on the engine

The best thing would to do a wet and dry compression test. That is how you know if the rings are shot or not.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I HATE hearing these stories :(. Although mine was semi self inflicted I know all to well how it feels. As a lot have said don't waste your time patching your motor up. It will NEVER be the same. I'd start looking for a low mileage engine and do the swap. If I was closer id come help. I got my motor with roughly 8k on it (plus an auto trans that I'm gonna sell) for way less then what they quoting you. Good luck with it all hope to hear some good news back from you soon!!

redarkx

Reaction score
Good to see you around the forum klint, too bad it's because of this situation. :( hopefully this gets taken care of quickly and in expensively.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, on the compression test - what would be considered in normal range?

Gadget

Reaction score
Just off of memory, the 175-185PSI is the normal range.

What is more important is the differential between the cylinders.

There can be gauge error, but the differential is important.

Say you have 5 at 175 and one a 30, you got a problem.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, on the compression test - what would be considered in normal range?

I believe that the norm is when they are all 5% of the highest. Highest obviously being the cylinder with the best compression.

Well klint said he does his own oil changes. I have seen engines at my dealer run for months with just 1 or 2 quarts of oil in the pan. The 5.4L 3V's are known for sucking oil through the PCV and a lot of people never check their oil between oil changes that we do and there have been plenty of times where I drained trucks with 1qt in the pan and they have 200K on the engine

The best thing would to do a wet and dry compression test. That is how you know if the rings are shot or not.

The last statement is a very good point. My last built engine which had severe piston slap, actually read properly on the compression test. I was running a 20w-50 oil. The thick oil was helping seal the rings, even though there was severe scoring on the cylinder walls.

Had a leak down or I guess dry test been done, it would have shown something much differently.

Just seems very odd that you would "lose" 4 quarts of oil, in about a weeks time, with out seeing plumes of smoke come out of the exhaust.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reaction score
3+ quart oil is a lot to loose in small amount of time/mileage. Even rotary engine don't burn that much...good running .one anyways. Something is doesn't seems right. Any trace of oil in your coolant?

Also, not aiming anyone, just a generally good habit to get into....checking oil while filling up gas. Got a few minutes to spare, stop playing with your phone and check the oil.

X-roller

Reaction score
3+ quart oil is a lot to loose in small amount of time/mileage. Even rotary engine don't burn that much...good running .one anyways. Something is doesn't seems right. Any trace of oil in your coolant?

Also, not aiming anyone, just a generally good habit to get into....checking oil while filling up gas. Got a few minutes to spare, stop playing with your phone and check the oil.

^that is a very good thing to practice... I started doing that after I was an idiot and caused my own damage to my motor by not checking my oil...

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty cut and dry, classic case of ring failure. Been there myself and had all the same things happen, save for the clogged up cats (cuz I didn't HAVE any cats). Rings took a dump, allowing oil to get by and get pushed up the cylinder, outta the exhaust port, into the cat where it built up and clogged and eventually made it's way through your tail pipe like you saw.

Keep in mind that just because all this happened, doesn't neccessarily mean you would have seen tons of smoke, especially since you weren't even looking for it. But I bet if you had looked in your passenger mirror @ the right time (like @ night when another vehicle was behind you with it's lights on and you stepped on it) you probably woulda noticed some haze atleast...

LOW AND BLOWN

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Klint out of curiousity are you using an after market oil pressure gauge? I added one after Jason's motor lost oil as well.

Top Bottom