Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installing AVH-P4200DVD need to know where Parking Brake wire is...

fwaokda

Reaction score
Can anyone help me (pictures would be amazing) on where to find the wire to tap into so I can get video playback (and navigation) on the device.

Have a Toyota Tacoma 2002 Ext Cab.

Thanks again.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
If you're just trying to make it so you can watch dvd's while driving, then just ground the wire that's supposed to go to the e-brake. You don't have to hook it to the e-brake to get it to work..

EDIT: Maybe this video will help you-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

fwaokda

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't really caring to bypass it, just whichever is easier to do. I don't have the parts they show in the video yet so I was thinking clamping it to the parking brake would be the easiest. Just didn't know where to look to find it.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't really caring to bypass it, just whichever is easier to do. I don't have the parts they show in the video yet so I was thinking clamping it to the parking brake would be the easiest. Just didn't know where to look to find it.
Just ground the wire behind the dash where the head unit is located...that's what I did.

fwaokda

Reaction score
Doesn't that video you posted say that, that wont work though?

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Grounding it to the E brake or even the support cross bar behind the dash won't work. The deck is programmed to not work when in drive when grounded. Trust me, I have this deck and it doesn't work. In order to have it fully functional while driving, you need to do what the video says. Even the previous AVH model has to be done like that.

As for navigation, you need to buy the module for it to use it. The module is coded so that will display while driving.

BTW, nice choice on deck! It's by far the best one I've come across and ever owned.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Grounding it to the E brake or even the support cross bar behind the dash won't work. The deck is programmed to not work when in drive when grounded.
Ok, I stand corrected then...listen to Mort.

I was just going off experience from my Alpine and Pioneer deck 105whistle6pk.gif

fwaokda

Reaction score
Alright thanks everybody. I couldn't get any info on where the wire was to do it the "legal" way so I went a bought a relay (although the one I found had 5 prongs instead of 4). Do I need any extra wire to do this or will all the wire I need be coming from the HU or truck? -- Gonna go read up some more on it and watch that video again. This is my first time installing anything in the truck but I'm guessing if I managed to get the unit in and working without this part, then this part outta be easy ;)

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
You will need extra wire to do it. You will also need connectors as well. The video will show you what you will need to make the bypass. As for "legal" ways, there isn't one...haha!

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Your 5 pin relay has "87a" which is for normally closed operations, just ignore that pin

Little about how a 5 pin relay works:

85 and 86 are the power and ground for the relay coil(power coming from the radio amp remote turn on wire in this case)

30 is the common side of the switch (connect this to ground)
87 is the Open side (connect this to the "ebrake wire" from the HU)
87a is the closed side

When the relay is at rest(no power through the coil) pin 30 will connect to pin 87a for a complete circut and pin 87 will NOT be connected to anything.

When the relay is activated(power through the coil) pin 30 will connect to pin 87 for a complete circuit and 87a will NOT be connected to anything.

That 4 pin relay is exactly the same but no normally closed side

fwaokda

Reaction score
So I got the relay in and it no longer gives the message but when trying to view dvd i get only audio and no video. I just see the background. But after clicking the magnify glass you can see the video. but the controls are still in the way. What am I possibly doing wrong? Thanks.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
U need to hit the button in the top right corner. That removes controls. Or if u wait long enough, it will disappear.

fwaokda

Reaction score
The problem we figured out was if you set a background image and then try to watch a DVD then the video will play behind the image. Was kinda strange I figure there should have been a better way for them to program that. Oh well got it working thanks everybody for all the help!

So if anyone in the future is having the same problem, you can solve the problem by going to the "Disc" source and then go to options. Once in options go to background and select no background. After that your good to go! ;)

fwaokda

Reaction score
Does anyone know the screen resolution for th AVH-P4200DVD ? I've read where it is "1440x234", but this sounds like it's way off. Anyone know what the real size is so I can get a proper looking image for my background? Thanks!

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
The problem we figured out was if you set a background image and then try to watch a DVD then the video will play behind the image. Was kinda strange I figure there should have been a better way for them to program that. Oh well got it working thanks everybody for all the help!

So if anyone in the future is having the same problem, you can solve the problem by going to the "Disc" source and then go to options. Once in options go to background and select no background. After that your good to go! ;)

It should still work with a background image. Mine has a custom background and my DVD's still played fine. As for the resolution, that's correct.

fwaokda

Reaction score
Well, I didn't think that resolution was right and I was right. The width is fine (1440) but the height is way above (234px).

fwaokda

Reaction score
1440x900 is the closest I've gotten. Has a small black border around the image but pretty much covers the screen.

bakoxr

Reaction score
i just conected mine to the ground wire (the actual ground for the power supply on the deck) when i hooked it up that works as a bypass

Top Bottom