Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KETCHUP tryin to quit smokin

lostrunner

Reaction score
Chantix my friend. You know what it is, being in the medical field and all. Good luck cuz.

That is right I have seen 90% of the people who get it stop....If you can't quit cold turkey give this a try....:top::top:

rav-o-nation

Reaction score
i know people who have used chantix and started right back up or it didnt even work and they are on there 3rd go around with it

Grumpy

Reaction score
Cold turkey....the most effective way. You're a grown man, I'm sure you've done more difficult things in life. You can do it!

One day I decided I had enough and just stop, after 7 years. No slowing down or alternative.....except for may be Altoids. Now I just smoke 2-3 cigarettes a year.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
I don't understand why people smoke. It's so disgusting.Eeeeeew

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the same thing...or at least my girl is making me:laugh:

As a new years resolution, she made me quit smoking Newports. And the only reason I started smoking those is because my older brother did, so I was used to the taste, smell, etc...

Since new years, I've cut back to Marlboro Menthol 72's (little green and silver box); they are about 75% of the size of a normal cig.

I've only been smoking for about 3 1/2 years, so I have no doubt that I will quit. The main reason I started smoking in the first place was when I drank, and when I was at work --- bored. Almost everyone else at work smokes, so it's kinda hard not to take smoke breaks and have some chit chat outside and enjoy a calm, smooth, refreshing cig to pass the time:smile:.

Every paycheck, I budget my money...so for each paycheck (every 2 weeks), I buy 7 packs of cigs. It's been my routine now for about 6 months. I never use more then 7 packs in a 2 week period, and if I run out, I NEVER let myself buy another pack until that Friday paycheck...to keep my self from smoking more.

Best of luck, I'm sure I'll be posting in this thread again come next month after new years.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
I've been smoking since I was 12 or so. I've smoked EASILY at least a pack a day for 15 years now.
I have had 2 cigarettes since my "quit date" using chantix.. and that was the day after. lol.... IT WORKS!!!!
haven't had a cigarette for going on 3 weeks now. I'm just starting week 4 of my chantix.
the only real side effect is the vivid dreams. you do get a little funny feelin in your gut and throat IF you smoke. I've heard some ppl say they have it the whole time they were on it. but it's bearable. I've always had messed up dreams anyways, so that's my least favorite side effect. other than that, I haven't been stressed, haven't craved a cig, nothin. I say give it a try at least.
photoon20091208at2121.jpg

By prezc at 2009-12-08

dunno why my "photobooth" app is a mirror type effect..... hmmmm.....
and it kinda looks like i'm pickin my nose. lol

Last edited:

midwest_X/Z

Reaction score
Ranch sunflower seeds worked best for me. I spit the shells into a cup so it was the same motion as taking a drag. The ranch favoring and the shells tore up the inside of my mouth that when I did smoke it hurt my checks. A week of that and I was done never to look back again, I smoked since I was 13 and quit at 25. Good luck with what every you do try, different strokes for different folks.

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
i tried to quit but like i say "smokers don't quit they pause".. :argh:

good luck to yah!

jeffrey.f.tsai

Reaction score
Quitting

If your insurance covers Varenicline (Chantix) it may be worth a try. I have heard many success stories with people using this drug. It should decrease your cravings for nicotine since it blocks the receptors in your brain that nicotine normally stimulates causing your desire to smoke. If that medication is not covered by your insurance and you don't want to pay out of pocket, sometimes generic bupropion (aka generic Zyban) will be covered and may also be helpful in helping you quit. There are more drug interactions with bupropion and you should not take it if you have a history of seizures, or are taking certain older antidepressant drugs. The FDA has issued warnings of behavioral side effects (such as increased agitation, hostility, depression, suicidal thoughts, etc) with these medications so if you notice any of these side effects while taking, you should stop and talk to your doctor.. Then of course you have nicotine patches, nicotine gum, and the nicotrol inhaler that may be helpful as well.
Taking these drugs are only a part of quitting... You have to really want to stop smoking in order to be successful. Another part of quitting is trying to avoid the environmental factors that reinforce your desire to smoke such as social smoking (going to parties) or stressful situations. These environmental factors may not always be so easy to avoid especially if your job is stressful. If going cold turkey doesn't help, talk to your doctor about these medications or ask your doctor about a smoking cessation program that also offers counseling support.... In any case, congratulations on wanting to quit. That's the first big step you need to take in order to be successful. You will be decreasing those doctor/hospital visits, decreasing your risk for lung cancer, ulcer disease, heart disease, and saving lots of money you can use for modding your truck!

Good luck :top::top:

Last edited:

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
^^^ good advice..

but I'm curious.. is that your sig? or just a random pic of your truck in the quit smoking thread? lol :biggrin:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
yea, I am in the military, so its free if I want it.

UPDATE: morning of day II. Cravin like hell, but no smoke. My wife threw them in the dumpster yesterday evening. And I am on bed rest, so that means none if I wanted one. Don't feel different, guess cause I am sick. When I quit the first time, I felt like I was walking on clouds for the first few days. Like everything was a dream. But then again, that was the first time I quit and I did smoke a pack and a half a day then. I smoke maybe 10 cigs a day on a bad day. Thanks for the support yall!!

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
dude this is awesome stay with it! Thankgod Ive never smoked. I know its very hard (like me not drinking sweet tea!) It will help you so much! 2 suggestions- find something to keep you busy, and get active- stop smoking will cause weight gain!

KETCHUP

Reaction score
yea, can't work out right now cause I am sick, but that is the plan. Been doin things around the house and sleepin. If I can just get thru today and tomorrow, I will be fine. I am most worried about tomorrow when I go back to work. Fortunately, I will be busy as hell.

nine9six

Reaction score
Best of luck man. I quit for about a year, and then long story made short, I've started back again. I suck. :frown:

BondXII

Reaction score
Smoked a little over 15 years, anywhere from 2 packs to half a pack a day. Never could completely stop smoking. I even got down to one or two a day and couldn't stop. Go figure. Took Chantix. Found out that us retired military dudes are not covered under TRICARE. I just got the starter pack. I think it was 145 bucks. Later on I started to find online coupons for 70% off. Damn it.

Anyways, I didn't even finish the starter pack before I was quit. Haven’t had a cig since March.

I did have a little hiccup in the process. The wife made a grave mistake and told me that she liked the smell of cigars (the cheap fruity ones anyways). So, I had the one every now and then, to one every weekend, to smoking them up every weekend. Cigars are not the best alternative. I have quit with them now though. Not near as hard as cigarettes. I guess it's because I didn't smoke the cigars so often. The cigarette thing was a pain because I would be doing something and have that urge because I’m use to having a smoke for certain things. The easiest was while driving. When I bought the X I decided that I wasn't going to smoke in it, since it was brand new and my poor Dakota was smelling like an ashtray when I traded it in.

Good luck Ketchup and hope you the best with quitting AND getting better.

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
I have quit cold turkey several times but recently used the patch... Those things work like a charm when it comes to keeping you from getting all edgy. The dreams/nightmares that they give you at night are kind of a trip too.

Unfortunately I started smoking again several months after being off the patch but am thinking about trying again for new years.

Good luck bro

ACE OF SPADE X

Reaction score
man it took me a while but i just quick cold turkey ...the best way i found to quit is find something to do to replace a cig for instance i drank a monster when i wanted a cig or maybe like eating something would work anything to take the mind off the habbit...hope that helps you any and good luck i no it is not easy:top:

Top Bottom