Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Opinions on speakers

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
I know you said you're on a budget, but J.L. Audio is in your neck of the woods.
Look them up, see if maybe they have some refurbs of some of their lower-end stuff.

Maybe they can hook you up? Worst they can say is NO
OH, and they're starting to do TOURS of their place too - sucks that I won't be stateside for the first one!

Just a thought...and somedays thinking hurts :laugh:

Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
this thread has been very useful as I'll be doing a similar setup soon (except I will be replacing the head unit) and I don't know much about audio. Not to thread jack, but would putting a set of coaxs in the front mean that the stock tweeters would be removed, or do the coax speakers just replace the stock 6x9s and leave the tweeters in place???

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
this thread has been very useful as I'll be doing a similar setup soon (except I will be replacing the head unit) and I don't know much about audio. Not to thread jack, but would putting a set of coaxs in the front mean that the stock tweeters would be removed, or do the coax speakers just replace the stock 6x9s and leave the tweeters in place???

Normally you have a "cross-over" that splits the signals for the speakers:

Only High's go to the tweeter
Only mid-range and bass goes to the bigger driver down lower in the door.

If you buy a coaxial design of speaker the cross-over is built into the speaker so you'd probably not use the stock tweeter.

Personally I wouldn't put coax in the front...I'd spend a little more and get a proper set for the front even if it meant waiting a few more weeks. do it right the first time and it's cheaper overall 'cuz you may not be happy with the results otherwise (just like buying cheap tools several times vs good ones once!!)

I did higher quality separate drivers in the front doors, and then went with a lower quality speaker in the rear because they're just "filler" anyway...Note that I said lower, but not LOW...

I used J.L. Audio C5's in front (round not ovals) and C2 co-axial in the rear along with a 10W6V2 in my custom enclosure - of course I needed a nice amp to drive it so I used the JL HD-900...works out nicely but obviously out of range for a lot of folks....but something similar can be done on a smaller budget just shop wisely and keep an eye out for sales...

Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar
Deployed Gov't Contractor

Last edited:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
You could put those polks in, they will be very under powered but the will still produce music.

The front tweets do not have to be replaced if you put new 6x9 in, they are wired up individually. I dont know for sure but I do not think there is a factory cross over anywhere.

IMOH, If you ever plan on doing a entire system upgrade in the future just go buy some cheap speakers to replace the blown ones, they should hold you over for now. Anything will be better then the paper cones from the factory

Its not worth the time or money now if you are not going to replace the HU or amp the speakers

Top Bottom