Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS Sway Bar Review

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Well I have had a chance to run the car at an autox event as well as everyday driving on the streets, along with some more spirited driving. Other reviews you may have read about the sway bars claim awesome handling because of the reduced body roll. Body roll only has a small impact on handling. The sway bars serve a much larger purpose then just reducing body roll. A stiffer chassis and stiffer suspension will reduce body roll.

My review is based on performance driving, with the knowledge of what perf driving is.

My biggest complaint with the stock setup was that the truck had a bit of push in it (understeer). But that is normal, as cars are designed to understeer before oversteer, as it is easier for a novice driver to handle. With a truck that has torque, like the XR, oversteer is just a pedal push away. Under controlled driving, the truck tends to oversteer more then then ideal, but easily fixed with some throttle.

After installing the SS sway bars, I was worried that the very large front sway would increase the understeer the truck already has. In truth it does, the truck pushes a bit more now then it did before. This is both good and bad.

Good: Truck exits corners MUCH faster now. The larger front sway bar transfers more weight to the rear tires during hard cornering, which is very good to prevent spinning out on exit. The truck also feels more balanced during corners. Once I relearn corner entry, I will be able to make corner exiting much faster, and better utilize my truck's low end torque.

Bad: Corner entrance speed has been greatly reduced. Truck does not feel as responsive during corner entry, and while holding high speed corners. I need to relearn corner entry.

For those that saw the autox vids from me and grumpy you can see the difference in handling between the two trucks. Grumpy was able to hit the corner faster, hold it, and kick the back end loose a bit on entry. A small bit of oversteer is faster then a small bit of understeer. During my vids you see the truck continue to push through the corners, and rarely did the back end break out (even with the estimated 100lbs of torque more then Grumpy). Link to the autox vids --> http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=25277

With the new setup, I will have to relearn cornering techniques as i can't blast through them the same. Once I re-master corner entry, I feel that I will be able to take advantage of the sway bar bias.

Scale of 1-10 (1 being poor, 10 being excellent):
Corner Entry: 5
Corner Exit: 10
Front/Rear Bias: 7
Control of body roll: 9
Confidence in taking corners: 8
Overall Satisfaction: 8.5

Last edited:

415XR

Reaction score
nice review. very detailed. answered most of my questions about the kit

ntinhri

Reaction score
I think if you pick up a set of QA-1's you might soften the rear and fix some of your issues. My truck with the QA-1's is very flat in corners and I too have noticed a much fast exit of the corner.. I thinkk if you had both and adjust the shocks to you likeing you would be very very happy..

btw nice review.. I will be add the sways if I dont sell..

THE MACF

Reaction score
What if you removed the front sway for your next event? Or put the stock one back on? That should help with the Oversteer with the back end much stiffer than the front.

skilledbum23

Reaction score
hmmm i must say this is an excellent review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up in detail, I am sure this will answer alot of peoples questions as it has answered a few of mine.:top:

Jeremias

Reaction score
I too felt kind of funny on the entrance of the turn but while I was on the turn it felt alot better

Murderface

Reaction score
great review also. this will help in my decision if i do plan on getting them. For now i had to get the DTLT's instead:top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
What if you removed the front sway for your next event? Or put the stock one back on? That should help with the Oversteer with the back end much stiffer than the front.

I've thought about that, but I am really starting to like the corner exit speed I have now... once I relearn corner entry I won't have any issues flying through corners again. Just need to find the new limit.

I usually go full throttle straight through the corners:laugh:

much like this guy...

:rofl:

That is the best way to take corners... hahah.. "LIKE A GLOOOVE!"

THE MACF

Reaction score
I've thought about that, but I am really starting to like the corner exit speed I have now... once I relearn corner entry I won't have any issues flying through corners again. Just need to find the new limit.

Fast in or fast out...... Decisions decisions.

Fast out is always better. Man I can't wait to get mine on

x20Runner05

Reaction score
very nice review, answered my questions. Now have to save :frown:

Sambuca81

Reaction score
I saw somewhere else that you have the wrong tires. Maybe you should look into that to fix your under steer.

A wise man told me :top:

Spyder327

Reaction score
I saw somewhere else that you have the wrong tires. Maybe you should look into that to fix your under steer.

A wise man told me :top:

You sure seem to know a lot for having found this site from google 3 days ago.

So which is it... you "saw" somewhere else that he has the wrong tires, or the "wise man" told you?

Sambuca81

Reaction score
You sure seem to know a lot for having found this site from google 3 days ago.

So which is it... you "saw" somewhere else that he has the wrong tires, or the "wise man" told you?
sorry if that came off wrong, this isnt my first sport truck :biggrin:

dmbfan73

Reaction score
vince77(kevin) and i installed mine today in just under 2 hours. the rear was real easy, no big problems with the front. :top:

Top Bottom