Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 Trans Adpater/Kit

JDM-X

Reaction score
ok so who has blown a stock tranny? im not saying 5th gear grind and everything, but actually blew a tranny from too much power?

ok think realistic,

t56- 1500-2k
t56 kit- 1600
rear end gearing- 800 up
driveshaft modded to accept 29 spline t56 -300 or so
if decide to get after market clutch and flywheel- 600 and up

for that why not rebuild the stock tranny?

Rexrunner exploded a clutch through his transmission. And my theory is that the trans is causing some of these clutch problems beside just being bad clutch discs.
Why do you think we need a ford 9" rear end? No one has blown out the rear end either. That can be addressed when we start having problems with that.
1-2 gearing is a god damn joke on these things. cut your rpms in half on the shift and you loose all momentum. Needs closer ratio through the low gears and spread it out more up top. Like the T56 has.
If your waiting for a few hundred dollar fix for the trans your gonna be waiting awhile. Anything is going to cost money. And I guess I am just willing to spend a little more to make my truck enjoyable to drive again.

I figured something would happen now that it's in the new camaro, hopefully they can address the issues and beef this thing up.
I still think I am going with the T56 swap if it develops into something.

1-2 shift a joke? thats why u dont need a t56, if you dont have enough power/torque to compensate then how are you going to benefit from a t56? just because closer gearing? then what? why not focus on getting more power to compensate and save some money. for the price of a t56 swap you could easily have a built 1gr:top:

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
I blew a rearend.. but I think it was cause wheel hop at autocross races...

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
wheel hop and turns are not a good combonations. we have to many weak links infront of the rear end for it to go before any of the others. i.e. clutch, tranny, driveshaft u-joints.

SX TOY

Reaction score
I have not blown a tranny but my tranny has a hard time engaging gears which makes it hard to enjoy driving hard. a close ratio transmission has nothing to do with power it just allows the power to be applied properly. this swap if done right can enrich the driving experience not just give you a fast truck. it is a stepping stone type of mod that the cars/trucks that become magazine worthy do!

Coupe

Reaction score
ok so who has blown a stock tranny? im not saying 5th gear grind and everything, but actually blew a tranny from too much power?

ok think realistic,

t56- 1500-2k
t56 kit- 1600
rear end gearing- 800 up

1-2 shift a joke? thats why u dont need a t56, if you dont have enough power/torque to compensate then how are you going to benefit from a t56? just because closer gearing? then what? why not focus on getting more power to compensate and save some money. for the price of a t56 swap you could easily have a built 1gr:top:

If I take your route and spend more money to increase the output of my engine, what magic (specifically) do you suggest to get it to the rear end?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score

ok think realistic,

t56- 1500-2k
t56 kit- 1600
rear end gearing- 800 up

I have plenty of power and torque but its in the higher RPM range. , I am running the URD MKII supercharger. So it is very important to keep the revs up to keep the boost up and keep the truck moving. Built 1gr is a future project, but the trans needs to be addressed. Hell maybe after the trans I will be actually happy with the truck and not feel the need to make more power. :rolleyez:

JDM-X

Reaction score
no just maybe a nice tru trac setup and still be under. i mean unless your going to be full dragging the truck on slicks with 500+ hp minimum then i think everything will hold up. maybe over time you might have problems but that just comes with maintenance of a performance truck and it gives you a reason to upgrade spending maybe 900 rather then 4k at one time.

ntinhri

Reaction score
I have plenty of power and torque but its in the higher RPM range. , I am running the URD MKII supercharger. So it is very important to keep the revs up to keep the boost up and keep the truck moving. Built 1gr is a future project, but the trans needs to be addressed. Hell maybe after the trans I will be actually happy with the truck and not feel the need to make more power. :rolleyez:
Doubtful!!!!!!!!!!!! Im gonna push and or wait for a upgraded ay6.. wonder what the weight difference is between all parts needed and a ay6?

JDM-X

Reaction score
If I take your route and spend more money to increase the output of my engine, what magic (specifically) do you suggest to get it to the rear end?

rexrunner and i are building two triangular four link setups to address traction problems. we are going to move the shock location and be able to run 12 wide if need be. i think we measure 13 max with a tight sidewall.

Doubtful!!!!!!!!!!!! Im gonna push and or wait for a upgraded ay6.. wonder what the weight difference is between all parts needed and a ay6?

^^^^ exactly dude

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
rexrunner and i are building two triangular four link setups to address traction problems. we are going to move the shock location and be able to run 12 wide if need be. i think we measure 13 max with a tight sidewall.

^^^^ exactly dude

URD track bar, and some qa-1's will fix your wheel hop and traction issues.. I run 295's x 18..I dont see a need for 12" wide rubber... you will break the rear then once you upgrade the trans if your running 12" wide rubber.. and if its only for the track just do some rims that stick out.. Sometimes I think we over think things costing us more money..... OH IMO!!!:rock:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score

Yeah I doubt I will be happy with the power. Its an addiction!!! Luckily the URD kit can very easily push out more power. :biggrin:. At least with the T56 I know it can handle some power and have all the parts readily available if for some reason it does break.
I think the weights on the 2 transmissions are very similar. really nothing in the swap that should add much weight at all.

JDM-X

Reaction score
URD track bar, and some qa-1's will fix your wheel hop and traction issues.. I run 295's x 18..I dont see a need for 12" wide rubber... you will break the rear then once you upgrade the trans if your running 12" wide rubber.. and if its only for the track just do some rims that stick out.. Sometimes I think we over think things costing us more money..... OH IMO!!!:rock:

ya but thats what makes our vehicles fun. I just enjoy building things no one has done. so to say "overthink", i think is a understatement. everything you do should be overthought so it comes out perfect the first time.

when this kit comes out, im interested in how many ppl are actually going to buy it.... my bet is extremely low

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score

Indeed URD trac bar FTMFW!!! First run at the track with the trac bar and drag radials I easily got a 1.9 60ft, and there was much more I could have thrown at it, but my stage 4 clutch broke in a way that no one can really explain and me thinks it could have been trans related. :dontknow:

ya but thats what makes our vehicles fun. I just enjoy building things no one has done. so to say "overthink", i think is a understatement. everything you do should be overthought so it comes out perfect the first time.

when this kit comes out, im interested in how many ppl are actually going to buy it.... my bet is extremely low

I think thats the exact reason for doing the whole swap thing right there. You go ahead and overthink your suspension, and we'll overthink the trans and so in your words "it comes out perfect the first time"

Last edited:

JDM-X

Reaction score
Indeed URD trac bar FTMFW!!! First run at the track with the trac bar and drag radials I easily got a 1.9 60ft, and there was much more I could have thrown at it, but my stage 4 clutch broke in a way that no one can really explain and me thinks it could have been trans related. :dontknow:

prob twisting of the input shaft from the torque. needs a pilot bearing

I think thats the exact reason for doing the whole swap thing right there. You go ahead and overthink your suspension, and we'll overthink the trans and so in your words "it comes out perfect the first time"

hey man you cant use my quote against me.. fuggghh :crinklehair:

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
prob twisting of the input shaft from the torque. needs a pilot bearing

hey man you cant use my quote against me.. fuggghh :crinklehair:

agreed something was twisting out of alignment and torqued the pressure plate in a way it shouldn't have been.
A pilot bushing will be included with the kit we are looking at :top:

It was a good quote man. :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
I doubt if the Camaro will get any more attention that our trans. If you want a high perfoormance Camaro, you will probably buy a V-8, not a V-6. I do not see the aftermarket embracing this transmission.

I doubt if a lot of people will but the kit, due to cost. However, it will not be any more expensive that a blower install.

As far as mods to our transmission, bring them on. Go find me a supplier. Machining gears and splines are expensive. Damn expensive. You will probably have to commit to some large quantity runs.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
true, but I am sure once the v-6 guys start playing with blowers and turbos and running into issues with the transmissions they will be looking at upgrades or swaps for the trans. And I think since the camaro is more of a "performance" vehicle they will be more likely to get something done.

Coupe

Reaction score
I spoke with Allan Phillips and they are still ironing out some details. As soon as I have something concrete, I will post some information.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
So is the theory that you 5 will be the guinea pigs and after the bugs are worked out this will become an available "of the shelf" kinda kit?

SX TOY

Reaction score
I spoke with Allan Phillips and they are still ironing out some details. As soon as I have something concrete, I will post some information.

very much appreciated Coupe thanks

Top Bottom