Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The official exhaust thread

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
What's a good muffler to beef it up a bit but not raspy or ricey.. Just a good easy low tone sound.

if you're keeping all 4 cats and you just wanna do the muffler cut out the stock one and weld in a 14" magnaflow

waleed

Reaction score
I have got a big headache because of my exhaust system. I have DTLT and vibrant resonators instead of cats. No matter what muffler I put (other than the stock) my car gets tooo loud. I tried dirtydeeds muffler, it was toooo loud that my car got impound after 1 day when I installed it. And now after long research I got dynomax superturbo muffler (which is supposed to be close to stock muffler sound lol) and its almost the same...too loud! I dont want to put back my stock muffler. Stock is soo boring.

I have 2.5" pipes after DTLT and 3" pipe after the Y-pipe

Which muffler would you recommend? My car is also short which makes it even more louder lol

I even tried dough's headers e-cutout.....garbage. When its closed its only good to cruise at around 80km/h, once u go a bit faster the sound will get so baaaad and raspyyyy. And most of the time you cant open or close it (it freezes) dont know why, I got it brand new.

III

Reaction score
what part # is correct for da 14" magnaflow (just muffler) ? and any specific site where its sold for a good deal? seems like a lotta people like this option for a nice sound

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
got mine at my local shop, i just told the dude i wanted magnaflow and he reccommended the 14" so im sure most reputable shops have it

motoxx199

Reaction score
Just ordered the banks monster exhaust. What do you guys think of the banks exhaust

Reaction score
I had it but swapped for TRD instead. It was too loud for me and they sound was meh.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYR2VJGSH2o[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNd9Q3wzqCg[/ame]

At some point the welds on the muffler broke and the pipe was rattling around.

motoxx199

Reaction score
Just got my banks exhaust put on. You were right The last section of the pipe does not fit at all. I had to take it to an exhaust shop to have it finished up.

motoxx199

Reaction score
It had to be cut and completely re-bent. The swaybar linkage and X brace was in the way. I probably would not recommend this kit for anyone who has a XR. I can say it sounds and looks really good though lol.

Last edited:

TacomaGus

Reaction score
I'm about to give up my 08 TRD sport double cab for a 2011 Trail Edition Runner. My truck has AFE intake, JBA LT headers, stock y, and an Aero 2525 and vibrant ultra quiet (all 2.5") and I really enjoy its tone and volume.

my question is what exhaust would you guys recommend for the 5th gen 4runner? I'm leaning towards Aero 2525 and all 2.5" custom piping again, but curious to know any others opinions who have heard the new 4runners with an exhaust, which i have not.

HyruleHero

Reaction score
Shorty Vs. LT Headers

Maybe I'm over thinking things...

I have a 2010 X-runner with almost no mods. I have big plans for the truck but there are a few things stopping me from going forward with my project. There are a few parts that I can't really decide on and I wanted to see if anyone has been down any of these roads before and get some info before I buy something I'm not going to be satisfied with.

Main thing is the exhaust. I have been doing a lot of research, reading through the forums and on the interwebs. What I've found is that the DTLT's are the popular choice, however I've also read that they aren't really the best if you want to keep low end power due to loss of back pressure. Is this correct or did I get some wrong information?

Now the JBA shorty's would be the better selection if this is true but I can't seem to find anyone who has installed them nor had them with an S/C installed, which brings me to my next dilemma, but that's for another thread. Shouldn't I be concerned with keeping the low end power since the 1GR only revs so high? Will I have too much back pressure with the shorty's after I install an S/C? Will I retain the low end if I go with the LT's instead? Or is it really going to make that much of a difference, pull my head out and just start buying parts?:banghead:

Please bear with me as this is my first post on the forum.

Gadget

Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground!!!

You may want to consider the URD Spec-U equal length long tube headers so you can make power through the entire RPM range, not loose the low end, and sound great.

G

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with gadget, the URD specu headers are probably the best bolt on set on the market as they are the only equal length set...

Also anyone that has gotten shorties(from what I have observed here) regrets it, not only cutting up their expensive stock headers but the gains are minimal while keeping the cat...

As for the low end, I have run my DTLT, URD Y and URD mk2 exhaust at autoX and the low end is not terrible by any means! I tell ya though it's like shifting into the "power band" on a two stroke bike when the rpms go above 3k...

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Spec-U headers. They cost less that the shorties all things considered. Plus they will be even better with the S/C. :top:

Last edited:

pledcan

Reaction score
Hi! Just got an 06 swb...! Love it! Goes great!

I'd like to start with basic mods... Exhaust and cai..Does the trd cat back not work on my truck?

Thanks!

hrspwr236

Reaction score
TRD exhaust does work on the X-runner but the tip is not flash with the opening, it is slightly recessed and if I remember correctly, the edge of the tip on mine was flush with the inside edge of the bodykit.

shane881510

Reaction score
I don't like the aero muffler sound. If I can't get the urd muffler I'm going with magnaflow.

shane881510

Reaction score
I know the mrk3 catback uses the magnaflow but I'm wanting the muffler from the spec u system. Gadget won't spill the beans on it.

Top Bottom