Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Transmission help

justin13703

Reaction score
Well a few weeks ago my truck decided to start grinding 5th above like 60mph. As well as the usual junk Tacoma transmission problems, throwout bearing squeak, randomly locked out of 1st, grinding 2nd at high rpm's etc. Since I bought an extended warranty on the truck, I figure screw it, I'm gonna take it in to have it fixed or replaced while its still under warranty.

Here is my problem, the warranty company is screwing me around because of the supercharger, stage 3 clutch, and short shifter. They originally said flat out that it would probably not be covered, but they were going to send out a rep to look at it anyway.

So the dealership calls me this morning, tells me that they decided that there is a chance it will be covered, but they want to get the tranny out and taken apart to be sure that the problems weren't caused by any of the aftermarket parts. Heres the kicker: if they cover it, I get a brand spankin new transmission. If for some reason they decide not to, I have to pay the dealership 800 dollars for the removal of the tranny, and nothing gets fixed.

I know that the problems aren't from the aftermarket stuff. If the clutch wasn't adjusted properly and was dragging, then sure, that's the issue. But it is adjusted perfectly. And we all know about the throwout bearings. So i'm just basically trying to get some fuel so if they decide to tell me theyre not covering it, I have a legitimate argument with them. What should I do? Lol

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Why not take all the stuff off before you brought it in? That would of been the route to go but I see that is too late now. Good luck and hopefully they cover it...if not I would seriously consider just sourcing a tranny and putting it in...pretty sure you can find one for way less then $800 bucks from people on the forum.

justin13703

Reaction score
Why not take all the stuff off before you brought it in? That would of been the route to go but I see that is too late now. Good luck and hopefully they cover it...if not I would seriously consider just sourcing a tranny and putting it in...pretty sure you can find one for way less then $800 bucks from people on the forum.

Because I don't have the factory clutch and flywheel and my shifter is a coupe shifter so it can't be undone. But I don't even trust used ones lol. I'd like to get a new one in there and If it craps out again down the road hope I have enough for a t56 kit. Lol

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
If you get a new tranny out of pocket and have them put it in, would they absorb some of the $800?

Bulldogger

Reaction score
Taking the tranny apart won't tell them anything but the syncros are going, and how do you determine the cause??? beating on the truck or poor design. The dealership is already aware that the trannys suck. How does the extended warranty company know of the mods? there is no need for the dealership to mention any mods to the warranty company unless they are looking to get out of doing the warranty work.

justin13703

Reaction score
If you get a new tranny out of pocket and have them put it in, would they absorb some of the $800?

If I got a new one myself I would just put it in. It's just there cause it was under warranty and I want them to cover it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Taking the tranny apart won't tell them anything but the syncros are going, and how do you determine the cause??? beating on the truck or poor design. The dealership is already aware that the trannys suck. How does the extended warranty company know of the mods? there is no need for the dealership to mention any mods to the warranty company unless they are looking to get out of doing the warranty work.

That's what I told em. I guess they told the warranty company it had that stuff, I'm sure they could tell by driving it lol. But yeah if it's the synchros I don't understand how they could try to blame it on a clutch or a short shifter.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
your aftermarket clutch didn't make your 5th gear start grinding.....all our trannies do that with or without! your syncros are TOAST!!

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Didn't they replace your blower a while back under warranty? Now they want to screw you for having the blower? Lol

justin13703

Reaction score
Didn't they replace your blower a while back under warranty? Now they want to screw you for having the blower? Lol

Yep they sure did lol. I'm surprised you remember that. And yeah, I told them that and said that the supercharger part really isn't even gonna be discussed, because I bought the truck with it and they sold me the warranty, so they got no argument. Lol

he has a urd mk1 supercharger. not the trd blower

Yeah but the c30 crapped out on me 2 weeks after I bought the truck, and I paid the difference to the c38. That's how I ended up with an mk1 with a c38 supercharger on it.

Last edited:

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
ohh ok didn't know your had a trd before. i kinda have the feeling the dealers gonna pull off the tranny and just say it was the aftermarket clutch just so they don't have to do it but for your sake i sure hope they cover it under warranty. i've heard some good and bad stories about the dealers over the past few years

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on the dealer. In theory they should want to do the work, they get paid by the 3rd party insurance company for it. But that doesn't mean they'll admit that their parts failed....

justin13703

Reaction score
It depends on the dealer. In theory they should want to do the work, they get paid by the 3rd party insurance company for it. But that doesn't mean they'll admit that their parts failed....

Yeah that's what I thought too. I think what I'm gonna en up doing is taking the transmission out myself, drop it off to them and let them do their thing. That way if I can't get them to cover it I'm not out 800 dollars.

ohh ok didn't know your had a trd before. i kinda have the feeling the dealers gonna pull off the tranny and just say it was the aftermarket clutch just so they don't have to do it but for your sake i sure hope they cover it under warranty. i've heard some good and bad stories about the dealers over the past few years

I never had a trd lol. But it's a third party warranty. That's why I have to pay Toyota if the warranty doesn't cover it. The third party company would pay for the repairs, but the Toyota dealership is doing th work. So I the third party guys decide not to cover it after the dealership pulls it out, it's basically on me to pay Toyota their labor, not the warranty company. But yeah I'm worried they'll get it out and just say oh it's not covered. So I think I'll pull it myself and be safe.

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
Yea f them 800 dollars to take it out lol drop the drive shaft couple wires and the slave cylinder nothing at all to it...

justin13703

Reaction score
ahhhh gotcha! i was soo confused :stupid: :laugh:
lol its all good man

Yea f them 800 dollars to take it out lol drop the drive shaft couple wires and the slave cylinder nothing at all to it...
Yeah its crazy. Im just waiting on a call back from them tomorrow. I left a message today and told them I will pull it myself and bring it in because I cant afford to piss away 800 dollars if they decide they don't want to cover it lol

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Well they said that if it is going to be covered under warranty they have to do the work. So they have to pull it out. So I just said screw it and told them to do it. Hopefully they don't give me any problems.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ok so I got an update today. Went by the dealership to see the truck. The transmission is out and taken apart. The problem is exactly what I thought it was, the 5th gear synchro is trashed and a couple of the teeth on 5th are broke up. The tech working on the truck is on my side and said that the warranty company should be out either today or Monday to look at it. So hopefully between me and the tech, they don't give me any problems. Hopefully.

Top Bottom