Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

who's replaced there stock front shocks?

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
like it says. what'd ya get? how do you like them?

at least, does anyone know the specs on them?

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
What are you ?

Pre-Runner

Std 5 lug tacoma ?

Pre-Runner TRD OFF road?

how many miles? why do you think you need to change them ?

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
im a 05 reg cab, 2wd. i''m putting on SS coils and want to replace my shocks at the same time. they're the same size of that on an X that's why i ask. i can get bilsteins eaasy, but everyone complains about them. kyb makes some too.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
oh come on someone has got to have some input. what do you guys think of your stockers then? especially you 05's since you've had them the longest. does the truck still handle well?

blastap

Reaction score
my x is an 05 but i only have 30k on it so my shocks are fine. i have never seen any complaints on stockers my understanding where that they are pretty good for all around handleing and comfort

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Do your tuck have shock or a shock/strut like the XR?

The XR uses a strut. There are no OEM replacements outside of ording an OEM part through Toyota. And I haven't had the time to get all the measurements to see if there is an interchangable part that will fit.

blastap

Reaction score
all of the tacomas in our year range use teh same front end setup

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
oh come on someone has got to have some input. what do you guys think of your stockers then? especially you 05's since you've had them the longest. does the truck still handle well?
I have over 30k on my truck and it still handles very well. New tires(Goodyear Eagles) really make a difference in the rain than the bridgestones.:driver:

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
i have almost 65,000 miles on my 05 X handling wise it is still great no complaints! even going to my 20's with the biggest tires could fit on them still no problems! have other problems with truck but not the shocks or anything to do with them!!! hope this helps a little, i got the yrs and the miles on mine!

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
Speck,

I would buy XR shocks all the way around.

XR shocks are mono Tubes, and are a higher performance shock.

The XR spring rate in the front are higher then the std tacoma, and the SS spring is 20% siffer then the XR Spring.

You need the correct forces from the shock to get the correct ride. If you put the SS spring on a stock shock, I don't think you would enjoy it as much as the SS spring on the stock XR shock. The Std shock will be too soft, and may bounce, or not be as smooth (and stiff) as it could be with the XR shock.

Shocks and springs are tuned sets.

James

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
well as you know i'm running the Sittin' Sic . The only issue with the sittin' sic is that there arent any lowering shocks yet , so the springs also compress the shock as much as the drop. So you'll lose an 1.75in in the front and 2.25 in in the back . This is with X-Runner suspension though. If I were you I'd invest in the XR's suspension and go with the bilsteins. Oh and my truck has nearly is an 05 with nearly 70K miles and the suspension feels fine even with the drop!

Last edited:

PLCX

Reaction score
mines an 05 with 18k on it. it rides great and handles fine.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
sweet making me feel better about the bilsteins. i heard somewhere that they die fast, that's the only reason i even questioned them. they're only 130 bucks i'm just gunna buy them. OOOO i can't wait

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
yea, the bilsteins are pretty good for someone not wanting go farther into more technical suspension stuff. for the "average" driver, they handle greatly.

Michigan X-Runner

Reaction score
Speck,

I would only buy the shocks for an X-runner, OR from the dealer for an X-runner. Not just a Tacoma "Bilstein" shocks!

X-Runner Bilsteins will be tuned different then the Bilsteins for a normal Tacoma!

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
i searched the part #. i can't remember where i found it though...i'll try to find out from the dealer or something

marcos

Reaction score
Who has replaced the struts and what have you replaced them with?

Top Bottom