Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Loose Shifter Fix

Stevenredx

Reaction score
so does this make your shifter not wobble at all cause mine wobbles when it is in gear and I am driving down the road really bugs me

This fix wont remove all of the play from the shifter. If your rubber bushing is loose it will tighten it up some, i did another fix that took ALL the play out tho :biggrin: There are some down sides to this method, so be sure to read through all of it :top: http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=4549

x-runner kid

Reaction score
ok thanks steven looks a little to complicated for me maybe one day

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Great write up Steven...:top:. need to do this asap pn my truck!

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
I did this lastnight (dried 4 12hrs) checked it this morning and its still kinda loose...:thumpdown:

4 holes and the gasket stuff came outta the holes...:dontknow:

Vince77

Reaction score
I used RTV on mine, ultra black. I let it set up for a good week or so, Just to be sure.
With the URD ss it feel waaaaaaay better. I got no vibration or noise, but it feels so much more solid, and goes into gear alot easier too.

Reaction score
For mine I actually injected polyurethane into the shifter. It now feels perfect, very firm, but very little noise and vibration.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Yeah... there may be better alternatives our there other than the right stuff. It may take a little to long for it to dry and still leave some excessive play.

Vince77

Reaction score
I made a rubber gromet to go on top of the inner shaft, so i wouldn't have any chance of metal to metal noise. Then made sure it was completely packed with RTV. I'm telling you it feels so much better. Makes the truck even more fun to drive.

XRUNX

Reaction score
I just did this using a 2 part metal epoxy. WOW :rock: The shifts are SO much crisper. It is rock solid. The only thing is that you can feel vibrations in the shifter, but it's all good. If your one of those who like to ride with your hand resting on the shifter than it may make your hand a little tingly.

aha some like that tingly thing lol i will try this today. my shifter is pretty loose and i liek to have my hand on the shifter but due to the looseness it sounds like im rubbing the gears toghether some of u guys might know what im talkin bout

rich017

Reaction score
Cut and weld the shifter arm. That is the beast way and it eliminates the fact that the 2pc shifter is held together with a rubber bushing.

XRUNX

Reaction score
Cut and weld the shifter arm. That is the beast way and it eliminates the fact that the 2pc shifter is held together with a rubber bushing.

wish i had a welder lol

X_Less

Reaction score
^ For the first time your excessive bumping of old threads to raise your post count is actually a good bump.

Top Bottom