Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you warm-up your truck?

Do you warm-up your truck/car?

• Yes

Votes: 193 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 23.0%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 21 7.6%

• Total voters

Hillbilly Deluxe

Reaction score
I give it 30 seconds and then keep it around 2500 RPM until it is up to operating temperature.
If Jack Frost paid me a visit I idle it until the windshield is clear and I breath heavy on my rear view mirrors to clear them.
If there is snow on the road I jump in my old 4Runner.
I took delivery in 2005 and my XRunner still finds ways to amaze me.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
On really cold mornings I will let it sit for a minute just to get the oil moving then take it easy until the engine is warmed up. With newer cars there's no need to let the engine warm up to normal temperature before driving. The computer controls the timing and fuel to prevent knocking and hesitation. As long as you don't beat on the truck while it's cold you will have no problems. In fact the Owner's Manual specifically states not to warm up the truck in idle;

"Engine should be warmed up by driving not in idle. For warming up, drive with smoothly turning engine until engine coolant temperature is within normal range." - found in section 3 of the manual.

Now my GSX due to the turbocharger needs to be warmed up and if I have been boosting hard or been on the freeway I have to let the engine idle for a couple minutes before turning off the car. This gives time for the turbocharger to cool down and keep the oil flowing through it until it is cool to prevent the oil being baked.
get a turbo timer.

TacoSpeed08

Reaction score
Not that I'm even in you'all's league, but with my mods I let it warm up when I can.
When I worked for Mazdaspeed they programmed it into our heads to do so, lol! :laugh:

Sometimes she picks up faster, others she's a bullet when I just get in and go. hmmm:hmmmm2:

lvxr

Reaction score
there should be a "sometimes" option. i warm it up when i have the chance, if im not in a rush. but when im running late, i gots to go.

SLVRBRSS

Reaction score
I figure my truck is like me.... If it just got an abrupt wake-up call it can sit in bed for a min or two lol. I know I'm lazy but I'm gettin better at it, promise! :top:

But yeah, if I'm in a hurry I usually just get in and go. And I keep it below or around 22-2300 most of the time anyways so...:dontknow:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
Because of carbon build up, extended idling periods builds carbon up which potentially cause preignition. Its also due to emissions and engine wear, engines wear a lot at idle.

On a warm day a steady cruise down the road until operating temperature is the best way.

On a very cold day, a short warm up is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

when i was down range (afghanistan) we used to pull guard in 5 ton trucks and when it was cold we would turn the truck on and run the heater..... it would run at idle for sometimes 36-48 hours straight and then when we had to roll out as soon as you put it in gear and mashed the gas a huge cloud of black carbon smoke would come out of the exhaust pipe... it was quite funny because it would last about 5 minutes of driving and the acceleration sucked till it cleared out lol. not good but funny nonetheless. there was this little afghani dude who sat outside our firebase selling melons and other goodies and every time we rolled out he got blasted... dust in the sunner time and dust mixed with black smoke in the winter.

SicilianMobster

Reaction score
I have noticed that if i dont the tranny (auto) freeks the **** out and shifts pretty hard (not good) when u get at or above 3k rpm.... best solution.... let it run for a min or two atleast!!!!

T-Man

Reaction score
i let it warm up for about a minute. Starting it up everytime makes me smile.:smile:

ryanjboutin

Reaction score
I warm it up until its idling below 1,000. If I'm in a hurry, I wait until I hear the fuel pump finish cycling, at least I think that's what that super high pitched soft squeal is. lol

nine9six

Reaction score
I warm up for about a minute, but it doesn't exactly get cold here... :smile:

TRD-X

Reaction score
Yes all the time! I'm going to take care of this X and treat her right.:adore::adore:....Cuz

redtoyxr

Reaction score
I warm up my truck. According to my understanding you get less wear on your engine when you let it get to normal operating temperature.

06XR-SW

Reaction score
esp with the s/c i wait unitl temp is around 150 atleast

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
I let the old girl warm most of the time unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

lordtavo

Reaction score
remote start! its much nicer to get into a warm truck in the morning :smile:

rios

Reaction score
i let it warm up before i get in it. The X is a completely different truck when it is not warm.

When it is cold, i let it warm up for a while.

X-Caliber

Reaction score
frost on the truck and ill warm it up, otherwise its usually warmed up by the time i drive a mile

Top Bottom