Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch went out

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
guess that means you didnt make it to the track tonight? lol, still waiting for them slips.:top:

tough love man, hopefully it will be back soon and better than before. at least you got this part out of the way now, and not later.

Alejandro

Reaction score
pics

the pics i said i would post

Attachments

• 0417081217.jpg
    0417081217.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 0417081219.jpg
    0417081219.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 0417081218.jpg
    0417081218.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 0417081227.jpg
    0417081227.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 126

Celiblue

Reaction score
FYI......
Well, if your truck is under 36k miles or whatever warranty you got on and you got tranny probs, DONT GET AN AFTER MARKET CLUTCH since it will void your warranty on the tranny. At least thats what the district sales rep told me when I took my truck into the stealership for the "manufacturer defective clutch". They will used it against you and they won't replace the tranny for free when it decides to burn up the syncros.

toyota06

Reaction score
No they wont cover it because i took mine there and they said my clutch was real bad and they couldent do anything about it i think they gave me a quote of 1500 to put a new one in. and like a week later my maganaflow came in i put that on and that solved the problem come to find out there was a bird in my old exuast

Wayne R

Reaction score
you can absolutely fry a clutch in 12k I'm surprised they warranty it for that long, time for a centerforce

Under "normal" conditions a clutch should last considerably longer than 12K. The clutch in my '88 Toyota 4WD PU truck went 15 years and 225K before it started to slip. That truck was my daily driver and it was regularly used to tow my race boats (about 2000 lbs, B/M/T). :hmmmm2:

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
trd s/c, k&n cai, dtlt, urd catback, b&m ss.

But the truck runs fine, clutch just won't engage. It goes into gear just fine, but when I pull the clutch you can hear it just spinning, and the truck won't move. Even from a 10mph roll clutch wouldn't engage. :thumpdown:

*EDIT
So I just got off the phone with toyota, they won't cover it under warranty, the say the warranty on the clutch is only good for 12k miles..wtf?
Well autocrossing and drifting are 2 things that beat the hell out of our clutches. If I were you I would start beefing up the drive train. This a weak spot with our trucks. Think about it this way....Heavy truck.....S/C power The drive train being in the middle takes the abuse. If I were you I would try and deal w/Toyo as in if they tell you that they will replace the clutch that can they install a 6 puck. This way you can get the install for free. I did this with my SS when the shifter broke. Then again I have a very good relationship with the service dept. I would NOT put the same clutch back in your truck with the auto cross thing and all.

Reaction score
Under "normal" conditions a clutch should last considerably longer than 12K. The clutch in my '88 Toyota 4WD PU truck went 15 years and 225K before it started to slip. That truck was my daily driver and it was regularly used to tow my race boats (about 2000 lbs, B/M/T). :hmmmm2:

i fully understand that but in same sense this is a sport truck, most people are going to abuse the truck. Then you got idiots that cant drive worth a **** to begin with. :top:

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
Let me say this also. 80% of the autos I have owned have been manuals and I have NEVER replaced a clutch. :driver:

rich017

Reaction score
trd s/c, k&n cai, dtlt, urd catback, b&m ss.

But the truck runs fine, clutch just won't engage. It goes into gear just fine, but when I pull the clutch you can hear it just spinning, and the truck won't move. Even from a 10mph roll clutch wouldn't engage. :thumpdown:

*EDIT
So I just got off the phone with toyota, they won't cover it under warranty, the say the warranty on the clutch is only good for 12k miles..wtf?

That's B.S.!! A clutch is suposed to last atleast 60K IMO.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So just a quick update.

So my parents came into town this weekend to bottle wine, and some other stuff. But they have dealt with dealerships, my step dad use to work as a mech in a dealership and they usually get what they want.

So anyways, we went to a local dealer and spoke with the service manager, explained our situation, and informed him about the phone call I had with one of the service reps (they won't cover it, etc). Well he started off saying that the clutch will only go out at 15k because of abuse. BS! Defective parts will cause a clutch to go out. So my parents basically took over the conversation. They wanted to talked to the Toyota Rep regarding the cust service (that they have denied warranty without even looking at the truck). That quickly turned things around, they paid to have the truck towed in Sat night, and they will take it apart first thing monday morning. And it turns out a Rep will be there tomorrow, so we've requested that the rep work with us to resolve this issue. They have even said that they can give me a loaner vehicle on Monday. So we'll see what happens.

And like others have said, a clutch is not suppose to go out at 15k or even 30k. When I first learned to drive a stick, I burnt/smoked the crap out of that clutch (we lived up a hill with a stop sign at the bottom). I drove that truck for 45k miles with absolutely NO problems (sold it because it had no A/C in Las Vegas).

Well autocrossing and drifting are 2 things that beat the hell out of our clutches. If I were you I would start beefing up the drive train. This a weak spot with our trucks. Think about it this way....Heavy truck.....S/C power The drive train being in the middle takes the abuse. If I were you I would try and deal w/Toyo as in if they tell you that they will replace the clutch that can they install a 6 puck. This way you can get the install for free. I did this with my SS when the shifter broke. Then again I have a very good relationship with the service dept. I would NOT put the same clutch back in your truck with the auto cross thing and all.

For our trucks, the clutch isn't an issue with autocross. i run the entire track in second gear. There is enough low end torque that down shifting isn't required and there isn't enough room to hit third gear.

I'm going to put the Centerforce Clutch kit in. Probably not now, as I should be getting it replaced under warranty and I could save my self $800-$1000. but I will replace it so I don't have to go through this again.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
Let me say this also. 80% of the autos I have owned have been manuals and I have NEVER replaced a clutch. :driver:

I bought a 90 std. bed, bare bones Toyota brand new, clutch went out at 190K.

I have 59K on my truck and take good care of it, but I am 90% sure I am ordering the Fidanza flywheel for when I do replace it down the road...when ever that is..:top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
New update.

Toyota is replacing the clutch, the flywheel and the transmission all under warranty. A toyota rep just happened to be at the dealer today, and looked at the clutch, and decided it was best to replace the entire transmission, so they wouldn't have to worry about this happening again.

A few pics (cell phone) of the hardship...

277180940_938335186_0.jpg

277182134_938339508_0.jpg

277181383_938336784_0.jpg

591bca1a.jpg

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Thats awesome... new clutch and tranny :rock:

It's amazing how helpful the dealership can be when you bring everybody's boss into the picture. :top:

As soon as we brought the Toyota Rep into the picture, everything turned around and came out in our favor. :rock:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
i guess that means ill send my truck out to you before you move so you can get mine fixed.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
typical grind on shift, and 35+ runs are the track hurt the clutch a little. stinks when reversing:thumpdown:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
typical grind on shift, and 35+ runs are the track hurt the clutch a little. stinks when reversing:thumpdown:

That is going to be real hard to get covered under warranty. With as many runs as you have i'm sure your going to have some pretty bad scoring on the flywheels and the blue spots.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
i want to get the grind fixed more than the clutch. how much is a factpry clutch? if they wont cover that, and i get them to do something with the trans, i might get a new factory one and have them put it in while the other is out.

Top Bottom