Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

OEM and AfterMarket Fuel Pressure Regulator thread

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
He said it should be at ambient pressure not a vacuum. For me as an example. When im under boost it will make the fpr think im a mile below sea level when im really at sea level...

What? When you engine is seeing boost you are above atmosphere. 1 Atmosphere is 14.7 psi. Otherwise known as 1 BAR. On the boost gauge, the "0" (zero) is atmosphere. So 1 psi boost is 15.7 psi. Atmosphere is the pressure at sea level. So there is no possible way your FPR is seeing below sea level when you are in boost. Unless of course you are looking at things from a different reference point.

Don't listen to what Allen said. He is a intelligent man, but this is not a mod that is full of wizardry and magic. Shit has been done by the tuning community the world over. it isn't some Illuminati secret. Otherwise, companies such as AEM, Aeromotive, Fuel Lab, Tomei, and many more would be making rising fuel pressure regulators. That are designed to see vacuum and boost.

This mod is strictly for those that want to reap the benefits of increasing fuel pressure, with having to buy an aftermarket FPR.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Nvm I found a thread when I was searching that siad it basically for reflash applications.... Regardless if i need more fule im prepared.. Thanks man.!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Keep in mind though, it isn't just for reflashed trucks. It just allows them to be able to mechanically tune for more boost. Either until they can purchase an aftermarket EMS, or stay on the cheap with out getting one. Sometimes the desire to purchase a wire in only EMS just erks people but they want to add a little extra boost. This makes that possible to a small degree, by increasing the flow rate of the injectors.

On a very large portion of EFI controlled vehicles these days, running boost, having a vacuum/boost referenced line going to the FPR is normal and common practice.

The instruction sheet that comes with Injector Dynamics injectors clearly defines how they prefer you to run your adjustable, rising FPR in conjunction with their injectors. They also explain that as fuel pressure increases that atomization of the fuel spray becomes even better.

Boosted with or without and aftermarket EMS, it is a worthy mod. As long as you have a pump which is rated for increasing fuel pressure.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Well here I am again looking at this thread, this time its parts haha went to my automotive store (NAPA) and they don't have ANY fittings that fit my AEM regulator, kinda strange because on the instructions it says a 9/16 NPT fitting, but with that said I'm assuming its an NPTF fitting I need, doesn't say anything about a 6 AN fittings?? FML confusing myself with all this haha

Also I believe I ordered the wrong fuel rail adapter for our tacomas, can anyone help me out on this issue?

Be nice to have links for exactly what i need to order without scratching my head and guessing
lol

EDIT!! --> Lesson learned haha Okkay so I juuuust realized its a high pressure line which is 9/16 which means its a different thread than just a regular 9/16 NPT fitting

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. 9/16 NPT would be a HUGE fitting on the threaded end. Did the AEM FPR come with any fittings or no? If so can you post up some pictures?

Q: What are the thread sizes of the AEM Fuel Rail and Fuel Pressure Regulator ports?

A: The port thread sizes are 9/16x18, or standard –6 AN fittings. We also include a 1/8th NPT port in the front of our universal regulator (part number 25-302) and on the top of our fuel rails for a fuel pressure gauge or gauge pickup.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Yeah. 9/16 NPT would be a HUGE fitting on the threaded end. Did the AEM FPR come with any fittings or no? If so can you post up some pictures?

Q: What are the thread sizes of the AEM Fuel Rail and Fuel Pressure Regulator ports?

A: The port thread sizes are 9/16x18, or standard –6 AN fittings. We also include a 1/8th NPT port in the front of our universal regulator (part number 25-302) and on the top of our fuel rails for a fuel pressure gauge or gauge pickup.

The AEM Regulator did not come with any fittings, just came with the regulator and a mounting plate with the required screws, but I found a spot on the truck where I can make a custom mounting plate

I can help with the fittings. What do you need?
I found a shop out here that has all the required fittings and hoses thanks though!
I was looking for two 90's and one straight
Fuel hose 3/8" big
Vacuum line

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Additional info if doing the FPR Mod.

Quoted from Aeromotive, "The Aeromotive 340 Stealth Fuel Pump is a high-output, in-tank, electric fuel pump that fits most popular EFI applications. The Aeromotive 340 is a compact, lightweight pump that bolts into many existing hanger assemblies. (to find your vehicle, see the applications guide below)

What sets the 340 Stealth Pump apart is its superior flow throughout a wide pressure range. Compared to a typical 255 lph pump at 40 psi, the 340 boasts 340 lph at the same pressure. Over 30% more flow. This pump is ideal for applications requiring more flow while retaining the factory lines and mounting provisions available in the Original Equipment (O.E.) configuration. The 340 is also perfect for use as a universal replacement for applications that require more flow to support forced air power adders such as turbo and supercharged applications.

• Fits most vehicles where a 255 lph is applicable.
• Offset Inlet, In-line with outlet
• Includes universal filter sock – may not fit in some applications (see OEM filter
replacement recommendations)
• Designed for in-tank use only

aeromotivepump2.jpg
"

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Wow..very nice. Definetly an alternative if you dont feel like switching out your stock FPR.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever

Reaction score
Here's a question I've been wondering, just kinda curious but...

Does it matter how long the fuel hose is to the Regulator? Then the regulator to the fuel rail?? Would it affect anything???

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be braided. That is just a preference. I currently have aeroquip push lock hose on mine. About 5-6 feet. Take a quick measurement, and get a little extra for routing.

3/8" hose will slide over the steel return line, at the fender well on the driver side. That is also known as -6 AN.

Hey can u post up a pic of where exactly we need to hook up to? Im gonna need to put in the FPR i have when i get the blower back.. Also, to clarify you guys all used -6 lines to the FPR and to the rail?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a question I've been wondering, just kinda curious but...

Does it matter how long the fuel hose is to the Regulator? Then the regulator to the fuel rail?? Would it affect anything???

Not really. You aren't going to be doing anything ridiculous with the room that you have in the engine bay.

Whitebeauty, I don't have any pics of the return line attached to the steel fuel line. Maybe Toon can snap a pic. His is setup just that way.

As a point of reference, slide the 3/8" hose over the steel line, just like you would when doing a fuel pump upgrade, and its 3/8" hose to steel line.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. Slide the hose over the barb on the hard line, and hose clamp it before and after the barb.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Ok so there a flexible hose that can come off the hard line or did u have to cut the hardline? If so what was used to cuut it?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
This is wat ur gonna need to install the fpr.
7ft of starlight hose, 3- 6an fittings, 1 straight, 1 90 And the tomei adapter for the stock.rail.
2012-02-08135042.jpg

the gauge on the fpr for adjusting.
2012-02-11174127.jpg

Installed
2012-05-22193703.jpg

Where did u guys get the fitting from? these r perfect to match my color scheme under the hood.

Top Bottom