Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV System & Oil Catch Can

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what mine looked like after months of driving.

Britt got some really good pictures of it as well. About an inch thick layer of goop, with the rest under it, water and stuff. Yuck!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Torspd did you have any kind of filter material in your can?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm, mine doesn't have a baffle on it, I have read to put in a green scotch bright pad to give the oil more surface area to stick to.....

motonxruchick184

Reaction score
9abd6de2.jpg

b693c2b2.jpg

Bandit

Reaction score
Lots of great info here! Thanks guys! Next mod will be catch cans for both the 4runner and Tacoma! (both N/A unfortunately)

Reaction score
Well it doesnt function the same entirely if the PCV valve is shut when exposed to boost.

N/A or TRD fresh air is drawn in through that side (passenger) INTO the crankcase and evacuated out on the PCV side (this is the way the system was designed to operate).

With your setup the PCV valve is closed almost entirely under boost (leaking some boost into the crankcase most likely), and your pulling on a blocked off PCV system through the 'wrong' end.

The PCV Valve on the TRD or N/A setups are NEVER exposed to boost (only more VAC). The less VAC the pintle in the PCV valve sees the less it allows through (idle and cruising). The more VAC the pintle sees the more it allows through until it goes full open and allows full draw (only being restricted at that point by the size of the PCV valve itself).

This is great because as boost is created with PD setups (Roots/Screw) it in turn pulls even more VAC on that valve really helping to evacuate crankcase pressure and blowby gasses under boost! The PD blower then in a sense becomes a free vac pump to relieve crankcase pressure & blowby gasses. The more load, the more vac, the more evacuation.

Where as a Turbo or URD setup - That valve shuts under boost not allowing ANY draw through the system. This doesn't allow much flow through the crankcrase and you are pulling VAC on the fresh air side with 'restriction' from the closed PCV side & that valve cover.

The fresh air side valve cover (passenger side) is designed to be more restrictive then the driver PCV side (to be purposely biased to flow better towards the PCV valve).

So really N/A TRD function much differently from Cent/Turbo. The only time the PCV system functions as it 'should' (as designed) with the cent blower/turbo is when there is no boost being made.

The rest of the time your oil is flowing out the passenger side because of crankcase pressure having no where else to go (because its restricted on the PCV side via the closed valve).

This essentially is defeating how the entire system was designed to operate in the first place. HOWEVER even with that being said it still has some advantage over just capping off the system entirely and running breathers or draft tubes.

I'm pretty sure no one has asked this tho I havent read every single post yet. What about on a stock N/A truck just closing off the INLET back into the driver side intake, and letting the PCV hose on that side vent to atmosphere (offroad) or into a catch can with no return line? (just an inlet and no return on the can) I actually already tried this yesterday after cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor, to see how it runs and it almost seemed a little rougher, tho I cant really tell... The one difference I did notice was the "harley rumble" once off the throttle after an acceleration pretty much went away and I'm not really sure why.

Reaction score
The lovely rumble seems to be coming back today, but I came to the conclusion this would only be a possible good idea to do on shorter trips during the winter months, and way less of a chance of being one during a mild to hot day or night, as there is no vacuum from the intake system creating positive pressure on the pcv to pull that vapor out of the crankcase. Sorry to learn out loud here, I'm still a little unsure why but since I didnt notice any residue at all anywhere coming from that PCV hose I realized I was not a genius after all...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What you did was create a massive vacuum leak.

As yours currently is, the engine is sucking in air through the intake across the MAF sensor, which is metered. As well as air through the passenger valve cover across the engine, then through the driver side pcv hose, into the intake manifold. Which is unmetered. Ultimately creating said vacuum leak.

As well as making it harder for the engine to maintain proper air fuel ratios, which gives it that "rumble." The end result will be a check engine light.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a picture of mine which is quoted, post number 217. This is effectively the same thing that you described. That is incorrect routing. That is back when I didn't understand what was going on.

Reaction score
No mate I had the inlet on the top plugged, completely blocked off with a screw and some tape, and the pcv was just venting through its hose line. The rumble noise is a normal good sound as far as I knew that sort of went away for a day once I did that but it did come back, its all hooked up now tho. I had to mess with it myself to figure it all out in the end.

I still wonder whats really the point of having a return line on the catch can unless that really is needed in order for the pcv valve to do its job..
I cant imagine that it would pull anywhere near the same pressure on the pcv valve as the stock setup tho, especially for a can with a breather filter fitted right?

Top Bottom