Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

STS 4.0 dyno #'s!!!

Paradise Racing

Reaction score
I hate to disagree but I think that a 1GR can support more than 8psi for daily driven use.

I wont kid you and say that I have done it. Because we have not been lucky enough to play with a 1GR yet. Yet!!!:biggrin:

But if the 2/3RZ can survive at 15 to 20 psi daily driven, why cant the 1GR?

I cant begin to think that the 1GR is not as well engineered as the 2/3RZ.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I hate to disagree but I think that a 1GR can support more than 8psi for daily driven use.

I wont kid you and say that I have done it. Because we have not been lucky enough to play with a 1GR yet. Yet!!!:biggrin:

Shenanigans! You love to disagree :laugh:

LSKustumz

Reaction score

The 1GR is not nearly as tough as it predecessor the 5VZ-FE. Its open deck aluminum block with iron sleeves. Whereas the 5VZ was cast iron, and the cranks in those were forged too!! The 1 GR is all powder metal internals which is more of a manufacturing speed and expense issue than strength. And from the pictures I have seen the ring-lands are much smaller on the 1 GR. But hey, I guess its all speculation until someone does it!!

19CQuest

Reaction score
I don't own an X-runner... but I thought I'd chime in a little on this thread... I own the truck that's discussed in this thread:
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=12863&highlight=dyno

I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed with the power it put out as well, but I thought it was O.K...

About the boost limitations, I called STS and asked what kind of boost limits I had on my truck based on their testing. I was told that 8psi is the most I should do without Meth. I know for sure I would have cracked 300rwhp with that extra psi. at 3psi I dynoed ~245rwhp. With meth, STS said I could run 12psi. I actually already have meth, I just haven't installed it yet.

I'm not here to rant I just thought this info may be useful to this thread.
:rock:

LSKustumz

Reaction score
I don't own an X-runner... but I thought I'd chime in a little on this thread... I own the truck that's discussed in this thread:
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=12863&highlight=dyno

I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed with the power it put out as well, but I thought it was O.K...

About the boost limitations, I called STS and asked what kind of boost limits I had on my truck based on their testing. I was told that 8psi is the most I should do without Meth. I know for sure I would have cracked 300rwhp with that extra psi. at 3psi I dynoed ~245rwhp. With meth, STS said I could run 12psi. I actually already have meth, I just haven't installed it yet.

I'm not here to rant I just thought this info may be useful to this thread.
:rock:

That information is good!! I'm glad that you chimed in.

So what PSI are you at right now? What if you actually put a heat exchanger on there would you be able to up the boost without consumable items?

19CQuest

Reaction score
That information is good!! I'm glad that you chimed in.

So what PSI are you at right now? What if you actually put a heat exchanger on there would you be able to up the boost without consumable items?

I'm driving around at wastegate psi which is 4-5 and I have the controller set at 8psi. I'm not sure about the heat exchanger, never really thought about it... but it did produce better power right after a run while the turbo was still hot...

19CQuest

Reaction score
Maybe this one is a little more believable...

Attachments

• Dyno.JPG
    Dyno.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 191

19CQuest

Reaction score
I am saying the integrity of the 1GR motor really wont hold to much more then 8 PSI reliably. So if your goal is low boost (8 PSI) why bother running a turbo? Its not practical for the extra expense and work incurred with a turbo setup. I am saying that even a properly tuned setup on 13, 14, 15 PSI on these motors probably will not hold up to much abuse over a long period of time.

If I was to build the motor to hold boost id spend the extra coin on a turbo for HP potential; however that is not realistic with our trucks.

A supercharger continues to be the most cost effective reliable method of FI for this truck at this point in time.

Oh and about the cost effectiveness... I have a total of ~$3400 invested into my turbo set up... which includes the turbo kit, Greddy BOV, boost controller, Meth kit (wasn't installed for dyno run), Walbro 255, FMU, UNICHIP, flange for bov, gaskets etc... I don't think too many people have gotten ~300 hp for less than 4k, but I could be wrong.

I'm not going to lie... Buying the STS kit was more of an opportunity buy; I found it for a good price and figured I'd try something new. btw, I bought the kit in November... STS didn't even have instructions for it :top:

For the money I think I can work with what I have and get close to the power you guys are putting down...
I still have room to catch up to you guys... :driver: Maybe... Not bashing anyone just talking out loud, lol

LSKustumz

Reaction score
Oh and about the cost effectiveness... I have a total of ~$3400 invested into my turbo set up... which includes the turbo kit, Greddy BOV, boost controller, Meth kit (wasn't installed for dyno run), Walbro 255, FMU, UNICHIP, flange for bov, gaskets etc... I don't think too many people have gotten ~300 hp for less than 4k, but I could be wrong.

I'm not going to lie... Buying the STS kit was more of an opportunity buy; I found it for a good price and figured I'd try something new. btw, I bought the kit in November... STS didn't even have instructions for it :top:

For the money I think I can work with what I have and get close to the power you guys are putting down...
I still have room to catch up to you guys... :driver: Maybe... Not bashing anyone just talking out loud, lol

I think there is definitely potential there with the correct tune and layout.

The thing that hurts the STS systems is not having the turbo closer to the head. Turbo's run off the exhaust pressure, and the hotter it is the higher the pressure, the more boost, more boost more fun!!

Being as the turbo is like 8ft. back from the engine the exhaust gas cools down significantly and loses its high-pressure advantage. I think if you could move the turbo up even a few feet you would see faster spool up, and a flatter torque curve on lower boost levels. There is also the flipside, you will also have a HUGE volume of air to push up to the manifold and it creates even more lag.

Thus all-in-all, if you move the turbo up stream more you would have a much more fun truck to drive.

Clever setup though, you have anymore pictures?

NixXR462

Reaction score
Where can you get a STS turbo system? I've looked for one and cant find it

SooRunner

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbee and just got my x-runner and already been lurking around for a turbo kit.

I have a miata with turbo that I am currently trying to sell at the moment because I bought a x-runner.

Well anyway, I was reading thru all the pages and assuming that the unichip is sorta like a piggy back band aid.

Can someone explain what a unichip is?

If unichip is sort of like a bandaid, is there any vendor out there that has a full ecu for this truck?

Well anyhow I WOULD NEVER run a turbo without a intercooler.

Well at the moment I am running a www.flyingmiata.com turbo kit on my miata. It costs about $5000+ but it comes with everything you need including a programmable ecu by hydra. I had a jackson racing supercharger before I bought the turbo kit and all I can say is turbo all the way!

I rather run a turbo kit with a full programmable ecu than a band aid. Yes flyinmiata has a bandaid and it is called the voodoo card. Is the unichip sorta like this bandaid?

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
i get 7psi under 3k rev with my twin turbo setup. ask justin! my truck is all over the street man. that chart looks like BS since when does a dyno sheet look like it was typed??
who makes the twin turbo kit? and is that killing the reliabilty of the truck?

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
its supercharger then unless that kit gets made cuz that looks like the best way to crank power out of it.

Gadget

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a newbee and just got my x-runner and already been lurking around for a turbo kit.

I have a miata with turbo that I am currently trying to sell at the moment because I bought a x-runner.

Well anyway, I was reading thru all the pages and assuming that the unichip is sorta like a piggy back band aid.

Can someone explain what a unichip is?

If unichip is sort of like a bandaid, is there any vendor out there that has a full ecu for this truck?

Well anyhow I WOULD NEVER run a turbo without a intercooler.

Well at the moment I am running a www.flyingmiata.com turbo kit on my miata. It costs about $5000+ but it comes with everything you need including a programmable ecu by hydra. I had a jackson racing supercharger before I bought the turbo kit and all I can say is turbo all the way!

I rather run a turbo kit with a full programmable ecu than a band aid. Yes flyinmiata has a bandaid and it is called the voodoo card. Is the unichip sorta like this bandaid?

I get calls all the time from people with STS systems trying to get them to run right. I got a call from a guy today while driving back from XFest that has a STS on his 4.0L and he needed help getting it to run right.

If you have made up your mind and are going to get the STS, give me a call and I will help you as well getting it to run right...

Gadget

Toyotaguy_7

Reaction score
When Some One going to make cams or a drift setup and how awesome really is the mapecu2? and the maf cali

Top Bottom